Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4000r3 Base station keeps going offline with 4G internet router

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
meavydev
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have internet provided by a 4G internet router (so the phone running the Arlo app is connected to the same router) and every time we open the Arlo app it says "offline".

Internet is working fine, as we can see another Arlo Pro 2 router on a shared device and that is always showing as online (but connected by a cable modem 200 miles away).

So we have internet and can see another Arlo Pro 2 base station, just not the one here.

The base station thinks it is offline, as putting in a USB stick shows us recordings that would have been missed due to it thinking it is offline.

My guess is the firmware in the base station can't cope with longer ping times associated with a 4G internet connection.

Has anyone actually got an Arlo 2 working with 4G provided internet?

At the moment it is pretty much useless and we are starting to replace the cameras with Eufy, as they work and generate notifications correctly.

All I can say is I am glad we don't have an Arlo subscription! 

27 REPLIES 27
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@meavydev wrote:

You realise that saying a VMB5000 on T-Mobile (in the US?) isn't exactly proof that Arlo works with 4G in the UK on Three?

I wasn't offering it as proof.  You said it didn't work on 4G (at all), I said it worked for me.  The clear conclusion - which maybe I should have stated - is that it doesn't work on some 4G networks (and FWIW, some have had trouble with Hughesnet, so there are some other ISPs that don't seem to work well).

I tagged @JamesC in hopes that Arlo would be interested in following up, as mobile broadband deployment seems to be increasing.

@meavydev wrote:

Also how long did you try, as I thought it was working, but then over the course of a day or so I saw the connection problems?

It was a while ago now - but my recollection is that I left it up a couple of days.  Firmware was different, so I guess I could try doing that test again.  

meavydev
Aspirant
Aspirant

I guess the other thing is the way we use the Mode switch.

We are out in the country, so tend not to lock the back door when in the garden, but switch to an External Notify custom mode so we get alerts from the cameras covering the door and yard.

Then switch to disarmed when coming back in, so we don't star in our own videos, before going back to external notify again.

So perhaps more mode switching than a normal user which means we definitely notice when the base station is shown as offline, even when it really isn't.

If it actually detected offline correctly and came back up quickly rather than staying offline until we open the app about five times it wouldn't be so d*mn annoying!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@meavydev wrote:

I guess the other thing is the way we use the Mode switch.

It's true that I don't use geofencing, and tend to keep my mode set to Armed.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation