Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
SleepySam
Tutor
Tutor

Equipment

Arlo Pro 2 Base Station  VMB4000r3    firmware   1.12.2.4_2772   (with 2 cameras)

connected to

Netgear WGR614 Router

which is connected to

Zoom Cable Modem  3.0  Model 5341J   (to Comcast)

Desktop Computer (Windows 7) also connected to Router.

Problem

Base Station shows Internet status of Amber, which is connected to Router but could not get an Internet connection.

Power status and Camera status are both Green.

Whenever the Desktop computer connects to Internet, such as browser activity, the

Base Station status goes to Green within a few seconds.

A minute or so after the Desktop computer goes idle, the Base Station returns to Amber.

When Base Station is Green, station functions and camera functions appear to be normal.

Its almost as if the Base Station is piggyback onto some Desktop communications path?.?

Actions

In the Router,

Assigned static IP address to Base Station.

Opened ports 80, 443, 123 for this IP address.   (recommended someplace, don’t recall where)

Several reboots and power resets.

No change with any of this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SleepySam
Tutor
Tutor

As stated earlier, I returned from a successful test at another environment (DSL, not Comcast cable).  After returning to original configuration, the same old problem occurred; until 24 hours later when everything connected and began working.  There has been no problems for 72 hours now. Why?  Don't know.  I see no updates to firmware in modem, router, or base station. No updates to Desktop computer. It just started working. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you rebooted the modem, router and base, in that order? Sometimes it's that simple.

If that doesn't fix it, I'm at a loss - this is a first to be reported. Is it possible that the base and computer somehow have the same IP address? You shouldn't need to assign a static IP unless it's for your own purposes (I have certain devices that are assigned addresses in the DHCP server). The ports need to be open to arlo.netgear.com but a standard router setup shouldn't need that.

It may be useful to take the base (and maybe one camera) to someone else's house and see if you get the same behavior.

SleepySam
Tutor
Tutor

According to router, all connected devices have unique IP addresses.

Yes, the boot sequence has been modem, router, base.  Several times.

Another environment was my next step; will be at a place to do that in a few days,

hope to have more information.

SteveMonty
Star
Star
Having a similar issue. Have a VMB4000r3 base with 4 Pro 2 cameras.
Router Netgear R8000
HP-2915-8G-PoE switch
External USB SSD for backup

I noticed some issues after my base firmware updated. When I use the app for Android and WWW, very slow to get camera status or it just won't connect at all, even when all LEDs are lit green. Once I noticed the base was down for 2 days. Base will reboot. Internet LED will go amber, and some other buggy things. Spectrum internet so that is solid. I reboot my LAN frequently. Is there a bug in this firmware release that anyone knows of? I have not tried to static the base IP address and used NAT or port forwarding. With upnp that shouldn't be an issue. Router and switch firmware has not been updated prior to my issue. Base is hardwired and PoE is disabled on that port and speed/duplex hard set (no auto).

I think I'm going to try and brick the base, and set it all up again. If that doesn't work I'll try support. I'd like to have the ability to roll back the firmware. Worked solid for over a year, and just started to get flakey around firmware update. Any advice would be appreciated.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Power cycle the base station just before it’s reliably is required. I.e. before you go out and before going to sleep until the firmware bug is sorted.
If you can do without the USB backup remove them.
Arlo can’t be helped.
Impress
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently had the same type of problem. The newly packaged Arlo Pro 2 I unboxed was not pairing with the app. After several reboots of base station and modem I called Arlo - the base station was already registered to another user. I boxed it back up, returned to store of purchase and exchanged. New system worked so easily. Call Arlo Tech support
SteveMonty
Star
Star
Hahaha yeah, there is no help for Arlo. And I'll do that...makes good sense. Have to keep the USB. If I drop WWW connectivity, at least I have the local. Unless USB is a combo of the problem. But at this point...I don't think anything makes much of a difference. It just sucks 🙂 Netgear usually starts with something nice, then it turn into a turd.
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
There is a whole thread on this with over 300 posts and 3000 views - look under pro 2 threads and the it’s 4000 Base station offline......

The base station is freezing and stalling.... when that happens people are getting all sorts of weird behavior - missed recordings, can’t live view, amber light in the internet light and others are green on the base station.... sometimes it will reboot itself after this happens - for some people it hangs until you power cycle the unit....

Seems like unplugging USB local storage fixes it for me.... no more freezes once that’s unplugged.... but it’s so frikking dumb to have to do that - it’s literally the reason I chose Arlo over Nest and Ring.....
SleepySam
Tutor
Tutor

Have returned.  I moved Base Station and one camera to another site,

with DSL on  Frontier. Was operational in less than five minutes.

All desired functions worked flawlessly  for three days.

My next step is to try find another test site with Comcast as ISP.

I think the problem is either some unknown Comcast filtering, or

the Zoom modem is the problem source.

SleepySam
Tutor
Tutor

As stated earlier, I returned from a successful test at another environment (DSL, not Comcast cable).  After returning to original configuration, the same old problem occurred; until 24 hours later when everything connected and began working.  There has been no problems for 72 hours now. Why?  Don't know.  I see no updates to firmware in modem, router, or base station. No updates to Desktop computer. It just started working. 

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation