Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Unable to detect bridge at one location, detects fine at another.

Reply
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 373 Views
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jjdperryman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I work tech support at a small ISP and have been dealing with an issue that a customer has for a couple days now. Her setup worked fine up until 3 weeks ago and has been fighting with both Netgear and Arlo regarding why her stuff is no longer working. I step in to help and after 3ish hours of troubleshooting, everything from factory reseting the Arlo and Netgear routers to supplying them with a public IP and multiple other fixes - no luck. She decides to drop the Arlo off so I can try to reduplicate the issue on my office computer, again I am unable to detect the base station while creating a new setup. 

 

I get a hunch and go across the street to where a good friend works and uses a competitors ISP. I plug the Arlo base station and hop on an office computer, log into my arlo account to start a new setup and add the base station and what do you know, it works. 

 

I've been reaching out to my network engineers and they are confused. From posts that I'v read, it sounds like if Port 123 (UDP) is blocked, it'll actually prevent the network/internet light on the arlo base station from turning green and I am pretty sure the whole ISP wouldn't block that port as long as port 80 and 443. I do know that we had a very big DDOS attack on the network awhile back (close to when her service went out), Is it possible that Arlo blocked us? Anybody out there who's had a similar issue? Is there a server that these base stations contact where I can do a trace route and see what's going on? 

 

edit: My Engineering team just said that they are not blocking any ports on any connections being NAT'd outbound. 

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jjdperryman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did send a message to Arlo Support on day 1 when I was fighting this. 

 

Good news tho, it started working out of no where. Unfortunately I won't be able to state what the problem was. I wanted to try to get a little bit more logging and hooked up a mikrotik rb2011 with a static IP to a test modem and logged onto its wifi on my phone to see if I could detect the bridge. I called up our engineering team to see if they had done something and nobody has responded. Arlo did respond yesterday but wanted me to go through the troubleshooting again and give them more information like modem make & models, type of internet, etc. (We are a WISP btw). 

 

That being said, the rest of the setup process worked fine, got the customers 3 camera's re-synced to her account. The one thing I worried about was her taking the setup back home and hooking it back up to her router setup. I stayed logged into her Arlo account to see if I got any alerts (since she had it armed for motion detection) and woke up this morning to 66 alerts so I do believe it's working at her house. 

 

Glad it's back up and running and working with this setup makes me want to get one for my house, it's pretty nice TBH. Hopefully whatever was the fault will not happen again. Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@JamesC ?  ALso, have you used the Contact SUpport link at the bottom here to see what they may have to say?

Jjdperryman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did send a message to Arlo Support on day 1 when I was fighting this. 

 

Good news tho, it started working out of no where. Unfortunately I won't be able to state what the problem was. I wanted to try to get a little bit more logging and hooked up a mikrotik rb2011 with a static IP to a test modem and logged onto its wifi on my phone to see if I could detect the bridge. I called up our engineering team to see if they had done something and nobody has responded. Arlo did respond yesterday but wanted me to go through the troubleshooting again and give them more information like modem make & models, type of internet, etc. (We are a WISP btw). 

 

That being said, the rest of the setup process worked fine, got the customers 3 camera's re-synced to her account. The one thing I worried about was her taking the setup back home and hooking it back up to her router setup. I stayed logged into her Arlo account to see if I got any alerts (since she had it armed for motion detection) and woke up this morning to 66 alerts so I do believe it's working at her house. 

 

Glad it's back up and running and working with this setup makes me want to get one for my house, it's pretty nice TBH. Hopefully whatever was the fault will not happen again. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 374 Views
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation