Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Knoet2007
Aspirant
Aspirant

No charging.
temp -3C
How the heck are we going to leave for the winter and have power to this thing?
We bought the solar especially so we would be sure to have power 😞 

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The battery will not charge if below the spec temp as doing so can damage the battery.

If leaving for a good amount of time , you may need to move some of the cameras inside as a layer of security... inside the temp issue isn't an issue and they can be powered

Not much else if time longer than 2 months can be done

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the temps warm up at any point the charging will resume. You might want to reduce motion sensitivity some to minimize recordings as well as to reduce the recording time. Also, there have been cases where plugging the cameras into AC power have kept the charging working but I don't know that there's a definitive solution there.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Also, there have been cases where plugging the cameras into AC power have kept the charging working but I don't know that there's a definitive solution there.

If the camera is AC powered, you can remove the battery - several posters have said their cameras will operate at lower temps if they do this.

Dannybear
Master
Master
You would think that for the price of the battery they would include a heater strip and thermostat to keep it above freezing.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:
You would think that for the price of the battery they would include a heater strip and thermostat to keep it above freezing.

Not sure that is practical for a relatively small battery - resistive heating would require quite a bit of power.  The lithium batteries I've seen that have that feature are much larger (100 AH or more). 

Knoet2007
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think you missed the point. These are security cameras bought because we usually leave for the winter.
Arlo has useless 2 step for security, I have to confirm my laptop as a trusted device every time I try to log into arlo, but to keep a camera running is not possible. You'd think that would be a little bit more important.
3 days ago the camera quit working all together because it was too cold, but I guess that is not important. 
Sorry, this was a great product when it came out. Not so much any more. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation