Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
halli40
Initiate
Initiate

I downloaded the new app and have been trying to set up Geo fencing for the last couple days. It worked great with the Arlo Legacy app; all I get is a message telling me to sync, I hit the  message and it takes me to the Arlo Legacy app then nothing. Does anyone know how to set it up with the new app or is it non existent? 

11 REPLIES 11
Shultzsm
Tutor
Tutor
I’m having a similar problem. My mobile device continues to work after the recent app update, but 2 other devices do not. 1 disappeared from the list - that mobile device user had not downloaded the app yet. 1 is still listed but geofencing wasn’t recognizing that device.
I’m going to delete both from the list and then invite them again and see what happens.
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

Afraid I have to agree with all the sentiments about.  I have had Alro cameras for about a year and would say about 50% of that time geo fencing has worked reliably.  One update fixes it, another breaks it.  I mean there are free throwaway apps out there that do it better, and this is a very expensive camera system.  Get it together devs.  My recommendations have certainly stopped for now.

My exact scenario for debug is very basic - two phones with geo fencing AWAY=Arm and HOME=Schedule where it is armed 12-6am, disarmed all other times.  Issues are same as above, when both phones actually show ON THE MAP IN THE APP they are in the zone it still goes into AWAY mode.  iOS13 - but if that is offered as an excuse it is pathetic, been beta for 6 months.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi halli40,

Make sure that you uninstall the Arlo Legacy app when using the new Arlo app as this can cause problems for Geofencing to work properly. 

Hi Shultzsm,

Make sure that everyone is using the new Arlo app to make sure Geofencing is working properly and other devices to show up. If other users are still using the Arlo Legacy app, Geofencing will not work for them until they install the new Arlo app.

Hi jpottaway,

If your Geofencing isn't working properly, try reinstalling the new Arlo app and rebooting your phone device and see if that helps.

jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks.  I actually removed everything and setup the system completely fresh on both phones and it did actually work for a day or two.  Then it just gets patchy again.  I feel there may be an iOS13 issue, which is no excuse as it's beta has been available for 6 months.  But may point to the cause better - iOS13 does seem to have a heavier privacy focus.  Perhaps the Arlo app is not doing something it needs to for long term stability.  

VictorJetz
Guide
Guide
Why is it that the competition has improved their products and interface but Netgear and Arlo cannot seem to figure it out? I have been a customer for 3-4 years, these issues with location service has been an ongoing issue. I am just waiting for a sale at Costco on the Ring product line.
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice
It is woeful. Just this morning I started getting alerts after my wife left the house (I was still there). Geofencing correctly showed her out of zone and me in zone, system still in Home mode.....and yet the alerts rolled in.
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice
Maybe a hint. Starting getting this message from the app after switching to the new version and iOS 13. It is nonsense, the Internet is never out on the hub or phone but perhaps it is linked to this latest failure of geo fencing. It still updates my location so no sure what the message means.

https://imgur.com/a/oqCeM3I
Shultzsm
Tutor
Tutor
After canceling the additional invitations, the other family members made certain the legacy app was deleted and the new version installed.
The hiccup may have been not explicitly following the ALWAYS on location service setting. Once that was confirmed, geofencing turned on for the other devices.
I do believe there could be some improvements in the initial install and setup steps. I could see where some users could quickly get frustrated and give up.
VictorJetz
Guide
Guide
Deleting invitations and legacy App and setting up all over again DOES NOT WORK. Whatever was done to “improve” things with a new App has destroyed a major functionality, and selling point.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

If you're having problems with your Geofencing not working properly, try looking at this article for troubleshooting steps you can take to improve performance for Geofencing: Why isn't the Geofencing mode working?

Otherwise, contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

halli40
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo Legacy has been removed completely from my phone. The issue I am having now is this: I've been at work now for a couple hours. My Geo fencing should have kicked in well before I made it to work since I have it set on the closest distance. At around 11:30 I just got the notification that Geo fencing kicked in and my cameras were armed. I also find that when I pull in my drive my front camera will start to record my car pulling into my garage. Then my cameras in the house start to record once I enter my house. It takes roughly 5 minutes for the Geo fencing to disarm. I would like to subscribe but i do not want to pay money for something that isn't working. When are these issues going to be resolved? 

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation