Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Third Party Outdoor Chargers

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jenrobsdad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased two third party  chargers from Amazon for my Arlo 2.  Both cameras keep going on and off line. Netgear is telling me it's the chargers and they won't help me unless I am using their chargers.  I need a 30 foot cable on one of my cameras and Netgear doesn't have one that length.  I purchased the Tyrone adapter cable from Amazon and it seems to have mostly good reviews.  So, does anyone know if it's the cabling or the actual power supply that is causing the issues?  Could I just buy an OEM power adapter from Netgear to use on my 30 foot cable?  Netgear is telling me I need to buy everything from them!

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, it’s not Netgear.... Arlo is a separate company for about a year now.

Second, I can understand their view as your looking for help to maybe solve an issue that is not under their control.

As to an answer, I would take one of the units and use on another camera if you have one OR temp run one of the cameras with a original supplied ac adapter and cable and see if the cam still goes offline.

At least then you could narrow down as to where the fault lies.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jenrobsdad wrote:

I need a 30 foot cable on one of my cameras and Netgear doesn't have one that length. 

I assume that your troubleshooting revealed that there are physical limits to the lengths of USB cables.

USB Cable Length Limitations And How To Break Them

Arlo may feel constrained by industry standards that other makers feel free to ignore. These third party brands don't have to deal with misdirected user complaints.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don’t really think that applies as the max length is more for signal loss...

so repeaters won’t help.

But it does apply to losses in dc on small gauge wires. In power cases the only answer is really larger gauge wire to make up for losses, esp since the power input on cameras is sensitive ( power faults for charging commonly seen ).

The only solution is to limit cable length or if possible use an elec box to feed ac and contain the adapter ( weather tight ).

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation