Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
hasinvadi48
Follower
Follower

I’m looking to get my first set of cameras, I read a few reviews that praised Arlo. Looking for a 4-5 camera system to start with (for exterior), might add a couple inside at a later point in time. Any major issues, beefs, problems I should expect with Arlo? If so anyway to minimize them?

9 REPLIES 9
ScottsdaleAZ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not happy with battery life at ALL! Customer Service was completely useless. Ended up having to hang up on them. I couldn’t understand anything they were saying. I have to climb on my roof every 2 weeks in order to charge the battery for 2 days. I turned down resolution, record time AND activity notifications. Can’t hear anything when using the microphone. They sure are nice when they work. But high maintence. So disappointed. I will be sending back. Unless you plan on hard wiring, don’t do it.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Then again, you'll hear horror stories about any brand. A different point of view - I've had Arlo, in various forms, for years now with few problems. It's hard to say why any one installation is problematic without actually going there to work it out. Some folks may be setting them up in ways that just won't work well, others may have environmental issues (interference, house construction, etc.) that just causes problems without major intervention. While these forums are filled with issues/complaints, you'll also notice that for as many Arlo systems out there, there are relatively few complaints. Yes, stuff happens and it causes a storm of issues for lots of people and then it gets fixed and things settle down. ANd sometimes it's just down to faulty hardware that needs to be replaced.

With any system, especially wireless, taking the time to understand and troubleshoot can resolve most problems. YMMV.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Ditto what jguerdat said. I have been happy with my Pro3's. Some small problems but trouble shooting fixed them. Some people come here just to complain and don't even ask for help. 

Chase84
Guide
Guide
Hi there,

I've had an Arlo Pro 2 system for about 3 years now. We leave it disarmed 90% of the time and the cameras off. Alro continually releases botched updates that causes issues with the cameras. I charged mine to 100% 16 hours ago and they're already down to 80%. Some kind of a bug again. Last time this happened they replaced them.

I would suggest you go through the forums a lot and decide if you want to buy into this type of setup. I've started looking at getting a solution that will be local and more reliable. Can sell you my system? Haha

In all seriousness, I've lost faith in the arlo products and the customer service is absolutely atrocious. I'm an IT guy for a living and it's all scripted. Last time I ended up going up the food chain and finally something was done. This has been my experience.
Shymom
Aspirant
Aspirant

I currently have the Arlo Pro 2 Base station with a 5 camera system.  I can't really complain about my battery life, or connectivity.  I will tell you to beware if you truly want to add more than 5 cameras.  Once you go above that, you will require a monthly subscription, unless you have another base station.  One of the things that sold me on the Arlo system  was that a subscription wasn't needed.  Didn't find out until I went to add more camera's that a subscription would be needed.  Then was told by another representative that I could add another base station, and link them.  Of course, it never got cancelled.  The customer service really is awful.  After being on 2 different calls with 2 different rep's that  assured multiple times that my subscription was, in fact cancelled, my credit card was still charged for a month  plus.  So if you do want more than 5 cameras consider multiple base stations if you do go with Arlo

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Shymom The 5 cams would  be free. The added would need at least a single cam subscription. Are you saying you subscribed them and then are trying to cancel the subscription? You would have to do it in settings then subscription. It says cancel subscription at the bottom in red at my.arlo.com

Shymom
Aspirant
Aspirant

The first 5 are free.  Then if you want to add cams they want you to get a subscription for ALL your cameras.  You can add the other cameras under single subscriptions, for each additional cam, or the smart subscription, which I believe will cover up to 5 cams.  I tried to cancel immediately ( a month ago) after the 2nd rep told me they would work with another base station, but seen the large came up today on my credit card

Shymom
Aspirant
Aspirant

@dcfox1 When I couldn't add the other cams immediately, I called Arlo support, and was told in order to add the cams, I would need a subscription.  I couldn't add the extra cams without having the original 5 on a subscription too.  I asked then, on the same call to cancel it.  When he tried to walk me through the process, his accent made it so I asked to speak to a rep in North America. Was transferred, and that rep checked his system, and told me no, I wasn't showing as having a subscription.  He's the one who told me that if I had another base station, I could add more cameras without a subscription.  Before we got off the phone, I asked him to check again to ensure there was NO SUBSCRIPTION.  He assured me that no, there was nothing.  Just seen that on the 25th of Dec, I was charged.  Didn't see the charge until today

Jason1971
Tutor
Tutor

I have the pro 2 system with 4 cameras that are about 18months old.  For the first 6 to 8 months they were not bad, but you have to charge them every month.  That is not easy to schedule when they are at a remote location.  So we bought extra batteries to just rotate into the cameras.  However, after opening and closing the battery door just a few times, the ribbon cable to the usb cracks where it bends.  Then it begins to short out causing problems that are all over the place.  Most people don’t know to look at that cable, so it gets misdiagnosed over and over.  Arlo knows they are failing, but won’t supply the parts.  
Now I have 2 working most of the time, one that I rotate a battery into without a USB port, and a 4th that bought the farm when the cable shorted.

Keep looking.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation