Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Judgedred127
Star
Star
Recently I’ve noticed an issues with my camera. At first I thought this issue was camera based. It’s when I access the out door camera via thru the app. I hear a cracking noise. I shut off the “speaker” on that camera thinking that may resolve the noise. And it did. So I returned that camera and replaced it with a new one. I got the same thing!! Same noise when the “speaker” is on. No other cameras do it. I’ve even switched them around and the same sound comes on no matter what camera I use out side. Although I can’t physically hear it from the camera itself, it’s thru the app. This is recent and has just started after the update. Please help.
133 REPLIES 133
Machz990
Tutor
Tutor
I have gotten rid of the background noise. I went to each of my cameras and started playing them one at a time and listened to the background noise. Then I stopped the camera, disconnected the AC power and started the camera back up with the play button. Then I stopped the camera, reconnected AC power and started the camera one more time. The static was gone and has been gone for about 20 hours. I did this for each camera, one by one, and it worked.
Machz990
Tutor
Tutor
Dannybear
Master
Master
@Machz990

I have been able to replicate your workaround for AC powered cameras although for me the noise returns within 24hrs.
I have been using smart switch’s to power cycle the cameras and observed that power cycling every 6hrs seems to keep it from recurring.
Thanks for the heads up on the work around.
Machz990
Tutor
Tutor
After approximately 27 hours I checked my cameras again. The first camera I had reset has started making the background static noise again. The others remain quiet but I suspect they will start making noise soon as I reset them sequentially a couple hours later. I will post if they start making background noise.
Machz990
Tutor
Tutor
Sometime during the night and beyond 27 hours my remaining 2 cameras on AC power, have started making the background static noise again.
kskenyon
Tutor
Tutor

Fixed repetitive scratching or crackling sound on Pro 2 - Much appreciated!

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Can I confirm since the update everyone has now got sound sorted?
RobbieR33
Aspirant
Aspirant
What update?? Still crackling noise coming from plugged in camera’s. Its been 3+ months like this, fix the issue or refund everyone their money immediately...
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
There was an update on the 5th of April, I had to manually go to Google app store, find my Arlo then update
Rob999
Guide
Guide
Yes, mine is no longer crackling and seems to be working correctly.
RobbieR33
Aspirant
Aspirant
Iphone update hasn't been rolled out yet still on Version 2.14 (72)
Released 21 Mar 2020
White-House
Tutor
Tutor
Yes. Since the update the static has gone away. Thanks Arlo for the fix. I am on Android BTW.
Summbrandon
Star
Star
Static is gone on both of my cameras. Thanks Arlo
Machz990
Tutor
Tutor
Any estimate when iPhone users will see an update?
Summbrandon
Star
Star
I have an iPhone. The fix was when they updated my VMB4500 firmware. The static was not cause by the mobile device software version. It was fixed by updating the base station firmware. You can see the firmware updates here https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes
Tseyvar
Star
Star

My static has not gone away, it is just as loud as it has always been. I am on android as well, but this isn't a problem with the app, because the static sounds come from viewing my cameras on multiple PCs as well.

Summbrandon
Star
Star
Machz990
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks. I hadn’t checked the cameras in a few days but the firmware had updated and static appears to be gone.
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

The static/scratching is gone from all 5 of my speakers too. ....Thanks!

What was causing this issue?

Tseyvar
Star
Star

yeah my firmware is updated, I even restarted the base station just in case. Still have the static on my cameras.

claron
Tutor
Tutor

What is the specific fix for the above - haven't seen one that applies to PRO 3 and Base station 4540 with iphone

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Your pro 3 has the same issue? Thought it was just a pro 2 problem
Dwjones
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi , I have also had the crackling sound on my arlo pro2, eventually I replaced the official netgear ac adapter with a generic one and the issue has gone away, and that's over a month now.
Jadegirl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any update on how to fix the crackling sound on Arlo Pro 2. I started experiencing this a couple of weeks again. My 2 cameras are battery powered. I have tried everything..no luck. It’s getting really annoying.
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have two cameras on ac and only one has the crackle. It’s there all the time for as long as I remember. Never even once on the other one. 

And out of three on batteries, one, the newest add on, has crackles on and off.

Yes I have the latest updated software.