Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Judgedred127
Star
Star
Recently I’ve noticed an issues with my camera. At first I thought this issue was camera based. It’s when I access the out door camera via thru the app. I hear a cracking noise. I shut off the “speaker” on that camera thinking that may resolve the noise. And it did. So I returned that camera and replaced it with a new one. I got the same thing!! Same noise when the “speaker” is on. No other cameras do it. I’ve even switched them around and the same sound comes on no matter what camera I use out side. Although I can’t physically hear it from the camera itself, it’s thru the app. This is recent and has just started after the update. Please help.
133 REPLIES 133
Ahern
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here. Two out of seven cameras are exhibiting a loud static noise. The only solution is to turn off the microphone, but that doesn't allow audio to record.

Latest firmware is installed: 1.070.50.2_205_0c7c8e1.

Hardware is H7. 

Any solution to this problem? 

Ahern
Aspirant
Aspirant

Correction. It only happening on one camera. 

claron
Tutor
Tutor

When will we hear about speaker and microphone problems being resolved --- will we be sent and email about this soon?  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @claron

The Arlo development team is aware of this issue & I will be providing an update as soon as possible. 

michaelaobrien
Aspirant
Aspirant

Could you please let your customer support know that this is a known issue. I have had a guy from there asking me to do all kinds of things and he has actually asked me some ridiculous questions. He even sent me a new camera to try out. I told him fine but I was sure I would get the same static. I did and now I have to take the trouble to send the camera back.

Ahern
Aspirant
Aspirant

Solved. I returned and exchanged the camera (Ultra) to Best Buy and no longer have this problem. The static noise went away and I'm getting clear sound. From my experience, the issue was hardware and not a software issue. If the camera is under warranty, then I would recommend getting a replacement camera. From the eight Arlo Ultra cameras I have, only one was having this extremely loud static noise over the image. The new camera is working great without any issues. 

michaelaobrien
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think it is a firmware issue. It all started happening right after the last upgrade the first of January. I have read some comments from other people that they don't have an issue with cameras that are running on battery only. They do have problems with the ones that are plugged in to power all of the time, I have six cameras that are powered all of the time. Some have more static than others but they all have it. I bought a six camera set for my daughter and put it in her house last weekend. Only one of them is plugged in and it is the only one with static. Both system are Pro 2.

Summbrandon
Star
Star
Agreed. This is a firmware issue on the Arlo Pro 2 which is hard wired.
bbhammer1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Agree! Has to be firmware in my opinion. No issues with my ultra 4k’s which are either hard wired or solar. Just the pro 2, hard wired started doing this as well it doesn’t report motion or record to my ultra base. I still have two other ultra that I need to deploy and will probably just swap out the pro2 and be done with it.
jimsharinc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone know if Arlo has done anything with this issue yet? Thanks.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @jimsharinc

The Arlo development team is working on this issue, I will be providing an update as soon as possible for you. 

jimsharinc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.

Crash25744
Aspirant
Aspirant
I noticed the static when viewing my cameras back in January. I just went through my past videos looking to see when it started. It started January 3, 2020. January 1st the cameras all sounded fine. January 3rd you can hear the static in the videos and it’s still that way today. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.
Glen69
Tutor
Tutor
Sad to say peeps, New update but no solution for us in this one...grrrrr.

Can't believe it's taking this long to solve the crackling..
jimsharinc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Nope,,I still have the crackling also.
White-House
Tutor
Tutor
So Arlo, how long to figure this out? Kind of a big deal don't ya think? We've had at least 2 updates since this issue began about 2 months ago and nothing has fixed this. We may have to start reducing Google ratings and posting reviews there instead of keeping it in the Arlo community. People are buying new Arlo products to find STATIC in all their new cameras they plug in? Not to mention long time owners dealing with this as well. Come on Arlo.....taking too long here.
Antjh15
Aspirant
Aspirant
All 5 of my Arlo Pro 2 cameras are making a horrible noise. They are only 8 months old.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Antjh15

The engineering team has identified the issue & I will provide an update as soon as possible.

fankhaus
Aspirant
Aspirant
There have been so many issues since Arlo started upgrading its software and hardware, starting at the end of December, start of January.

Up to now, the only thing that works for the cracking/ticking/white noise issue, is to cut the loudspeaker on the camera.

I have been troubleshooting with Arlo since the start of the year, and they have never been able to solve the issue.

They even sent me a replacement camera, which was totally unusable, because the background noise was covering any noise outside.

Funny enough, they never suggest to shut off the loudspeaker. I only found this trick via the community.

However, I haven't found a solution for my other issue, which is cloud recordings with no sound (local recordings have sound). The only solution is to restart the base, but this happens very often and is extremely aggravating.

This issue also started at the beginning of the year, like all the other issues...
jimsharinc
Aspirant
Aspirant
MY CRACKLING HAS STOPPED AND THE AUDIO IS CRYSTAL CLEAR NOW!!!
RobbieR33
Aspirant
Aspirant
make sure you have the speaker turned on when testing if the static sound is gone, i can guarantee its still there.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

The Arlo development team has identified the issue and a fix will be coming soon. I will provide you with an update as soon as possible.

Machz990
Tutor
Tutor
I have a 4 camera system with Arlo Pro 2 cameras. 3 are on AC Power full time and one has AC power connected but it’s via a switched outlet. The camera with the switched outlet is quiet because AC power is only on once in a while to charge the battery. Then it’s operated on battery power most of the time and the audio is clear without static. The other 3 cameras with full-time AC power have a loud static background noise and are unusable for listening for any movement in the room. This has been going on for a couple months. I’ve read the previous posts. Has anyone tried a new AC power supply? If it’s not noise from a faulty power supply then it’s likely an internal noise issue within the hardware of the camera.
RalphWiggum19
Initiate
Initiate
My Arlo Pro 2’s are mains connected via different power points and still have the crackling sound. So no, it wouldn’t be the fault of the mains power.

I’m awaiting the fix from Arlo as according to the mod the issue has been identified by the engineering team.
Machz990
Tutor
Tutor
I was referring to the low voltage power supply that comes with the Arlo camera. The little AC to DC power block. Maybe after time they get noisy. By noisy I mean poor voltage control with spikes. I’ve already had one of those fail.