Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Judgedred127
Star
Star
Recently I’ve noticed an issues with my camera. At first I thought this issue was camera based. It’s when I access the out door camera via thru the app. I hear a cracking noise. I shut off the “speaker” on that camera thinking that may resolve the noise. And it did. So I returned that camera and replaced it with a new one. I got the same thing!! Same noise when the “speaker” is on. No other cameras do it. I’ve even switched them around and the same sound comes on no matter what camera I use out side. Although I can’t physically hear it from the camera itself, it’s thru the app. This is recent and has just started after the update. Please help.
133 REPLIES 133
billkex
Luminary
Luminary
Mine crackles on both AC powered and battery cameras. Live and recorded video.
It's annoying.
alesssj4
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here. Reading other people's comments it's clear that the issue manifests itself only when cameras are plugged in to the mains. I have 3 cameras and only one is plugged in and it's doing exactly the same hissing sound everyone describes. I'm hoping this is a software issue and not a hardware one. Any ETA on a fix??

Judgedred127
Star
Star
Problem seemed to have resolved since last update. I no longer have the cracking sound with the plugged in cameras.
RobbieR33
Aspirant
Aspirant
What update might that be?? Mine is still cracking on the 1 Feb update on the base station VMB4000r3 firmware 1.15.01_3162_d878851
Judgedred127
Star
Star
Alto just sent an IOS update 3 days ago. As soon as I updated it, the cracking noise stopped. The only way I stopped it prior to the update was to turn off the speaker. After the update thru IOS aka Apple it fixed the issue. Not sure if there is an update for google play
RobbieR33
Aspirant
Aspirant
Im on Apple i.OS 13.3.1 just reinstalled Arlo App v 2.12.3 from the app store still cracking im at a loss
Tseyvar
Star
Star

I just checked every one of my cameras and they are all still making static/hissing sounds (1 have 1 more camera that has gotten loud, so that's 2 total loud cameras and 5 low audio static). I am on Android, and I have not seen any updates, so I'm sure Android hasn't gotten any updates

Summbrandon
Star
Star
I can confirm the audio issue is still happening on iOS 2.12.3. Both cameras are plugged into power. I have to turn off their speakers to stop the crackling. Still waiting for an update on the camera firmware.
Judgedred127
Star
Star
Try turning off your speaker then view the camera. The sound should go off. Then close the app completely. Log back in and turn the speaker back on. If that works then great. If not the temp remedy is turn the speaker off. And hopefully Arlo will see this.
alesssj4
Aspirant
Aspirant

and BTW I can see a lot of discussion about the mobile app version and OS version but I don't think it's related to any of these. I've tried accessing the culprit camera using the my.arlo.com and the cracking sound is also present so the mobile app has nothing to do with it. It's either the hardware or the firmware on the camera.

Summbrandon
Star
Star
Agreed that this is not fixed by the iOS app update. Trying to turn the speaker on and off in any sequence doesn’t seem to remedy the issue. Also hear the static online. @ShayneS has said Arlo is looking into it.
Judgedred127
Star
Star
Sorry if the cameras aren’t working still. I mean no disrespect when I’ve mentioned that mine coincidentally fixed itself after a recent software update. I’m only trying to help considering I am not an expert on this matter. So again I’m sorry if I give unhelpful advice
Summbrandon
Star
Star
No need to be sorry. Happy to hear that your issue is resolved. Hopefully we get the same good luck!
Tseyvar
Star
Star

Yeah no need to be sorry, it's awesome that some cameras may fix themselves. This gives me hope that they aren't permanently like this.

dusterHD48
Initiate
Initiate
The update never worked for me. I’m still having bad live video feed and that crackling sound from my A/C powered camera. The only thing that worked was turning off the speaker. The crackling sound went away but the live video feed is still very grainy compared to my battery powered live video footage camera. Both cameras are literally 20 feet apart from each other and the A/C powered one is the culprit.
Lokobous
Guide
Guide
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Well non of mine had leads all in front and back gardens same issue
Mackdiesel18
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue for a month, no relief. Cracking noise during all recordings, live, and CVR tape. Any new news on this?
michaelaobrien
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been in contact with Arlo since this crackling noise started the beginning of January right after the last firmware upgrade. A guy has called me about five times with questions. Unfortunately he has no knowledge of the system and is just a question asker. I'm glad that Arlo is staying in contact but it would be nice to talk to someone who understands what I am talking about. I have asked him if he has read about this on the community page and he hasn't. Why in the world hasn't he? Some of the questions  that he ask me are so ridiculous. The things he has asked be to do are not reasonable. I have this issue with all six of my Arlo Pro 2 cameras. Yesterday he called and told me he was going to send me a replacement camera to see if that fixes the problem. I said OK but told him I did not think it would make a difference. He said if it works he would send replacements for all of them.

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

It is interesting to read that Arlo seems to be trying to communicate better with customers, many of us were turned off by their 'Customer Service' moreso than by the technical teething pains. I wonder if posts including mine at <https://community.arlo.com/t5/Community-Feedback/Arlo-Customer-Service-too-many-shortcomings-and-wha...> finally reached people there in management?

Helderc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 3 Arlo Pro 2 cameras: two of them plugged into AC, one on battery.

The cameras that are plugged in have the crackling sound, which can be heard on iOS and through the web app. It also is saved on the downloaded videos. The camera on battery power has never had this issue.

Removing the cameras, power cycling, and re-adding the cameras did not help.

I have contacted Arlo support and they said it was a known issue. Hoping to see a resolution on this soon.

Glen69
Tutor
Tutor

Come SHAYNE, what the * are these tech guy's & gal's doing about this situation THIS IS GETTING REALLY ANNOYING and downright frustrating that there hasn't been a resolution to this yet..
Surely they can check within last firmware what was done that changed things....come on HURRY UP....PLZZZZZZZ.

BillMcI
Star
Star

Hi

Since the problem with geofencing was fixed, my system has been working pretty well.

However recently, one of my Arlo Pro cameras has given the odd "false" audio alert. I say "false" because when I play it back there is a noise that sounds like a cross betwen a buzz and a click, perhaps some form of electronic interference. I can find no "noise" within the house to explain this.

That's not what I want to ask, however. I also get audio alerts at the same time on one of my Arlo cameras which does not have an audio setting. Of course, when I play it back I can hear no sounds. This has happened 2 or 3 times in the last few weeks. It's not a big deal but it is just a little surprising. Anyone else had this?

Kal_El15
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've read every post in this discussion and it sounds like I'm having the same problem. Only difference is... I'm having that same issue with a brand new Alro Video Doorbell. I just purchased and installed it yesterday. Coincidentally it is connected to power but it does not need a base station or hub. I immediately received firmware updates once I installed it so I'm not sure if the problem wasn't there before. Since this is a brand new camera it shouldn't be having this problem. I'm sorry but with the amount of time that has lapsed since this became an issue, it looks like I may need to return this thing and go with a ring or a nest doorbell. That sucks because I've got Arlo Pro cameras and I would like to keep all of my surveillance on the same app if possible.
Tseyvar
Star
Star
I hate that the doorbell is having the same issues, especially seeing you need the sound with a doorbell. Tells me that it must be software issues.

Main reason that I won't get a doorbell right now though is that they dont have smartthings integration for it. When they fix the sound issues and get smartthings integration, then I will replace my ring doorbell.