Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Judgedred127
Star
Star
Recently I’ve noticed an issues with my camera. At first I thought this issue was camera based. It’s when I access the out door camera via thru the app. I hear a cracking noise. I shut off the “speaker” on that camera thinking that may resolve the noise. And it did. So I returned that camera and replaced it with a new one. I got the same thing!! Same noise when the “speaker” is on. No other cameras do it. I’ve even switched them around and the same sound comes on no matter what camera I use out side. Although I can’t physically hear it from the camera itself, it’s thru the app. This is recent and has just started after the update. Please help.
133 REPLIES 133
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Judgedred127

Do you hear this noise through the web portal as well?

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

The same experience here too. Since the update this January 2020, my Pro Cameras here and at another remote home too are producing a crackling sound - seems to be playing over and over again like some old record turntable.

I noticed this on Live View through the camera, I notice this is on my recordings too. Even on recording in the middle of an otherwise quiet night showing foxes going by, one hears the annoying crackling sound.

The device on which the cameras are monitored on (iPhone, Mac, etc.), and regardless of where I bring up the recordings from the Library or on what device, these seem to make no difference.

See the linked videos.

The first video (downloaded from from my Arlo Library) is from an Arlo Pro 2 that recorded a Fox passing by, has minor background noise but then at about 10 seconds the more annoying crackling comes on.

The second video was recorded manually by an Arlo Pro 2 and shows an empty and usually silent room - but with the crackling playing consistently throughout the recording.

My Arlo Technologies cameras (several models) have all developed some new problem (likely not coincidental) after Arlo Technologies released a firmware fix to remedy the video clipping problems introduced by some prior firmware fix of 2019. In this recorded video see a Fox detected by on of my Arlo Pro 2 cameras, there night was still and silent but there is always some background static or crackling, that gets notably worse from about the 10 second mark on. Cameras being monitored or recorded can exhibit this crackling audio.

Rob999
Guide
Guide
I’ve got exactly the same issue as you. Just started recently, I guess with a firmware update. To clear it temporarily, speak from the speaker via the app. The problem then returns around 10 seconds into a recording so this is definitely a software and not hardware fault.
Erichockey15
Guide
Guide
I’m having same crackling sound also, it just started recently? Has there been any answer to fixing this? My video also skips a bit.
Erichockey15
Guide
Guide
Arlo, are you working on solution for this? I rely on your audio recording and these hinder the cameras abilities. Thank you
Judgedred127
Star
Star
This is disturbing because I spent more money getting the replacement plan thinking it was a bad camera. Only to see I’m not the only one with this issue.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @martincc

My I ask which of the cameras those Youtube videos were from? Do your Arlo Q cameras and/or Pro cameras have the same static. If so, can you possibly provide a video from each?

Thank you for the detailed post!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Erichockey15

Do you have static on your Arlo Pro cameras? Is it possible to provide a video example as well.

- @Erichockey15 @martincc

Thank you for all the info. I am working with the team to further investigate these reports.

Erichockey15
Guide
Guide
I have Arlo pro and Arlo pro 2 cameras but it’s specially the Arlo pro 2 cameras for my system. I have tried removing them, placing inside, taking battery out, resync, base reset, and even switch them around static still with recording. I pay for CVR and both cameras have continued static. I have attached just one sample of a clip. It’s nowhere near it use to be. The clarity on these cameras with audio was amazing. Now not so good at all.
Erichockey15
Guide
Guide
I’m trying to attach a video it’s not working. Your welcome to go to my account and check it out.
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

It is good to read that you and your team are aware of our concerns, and are working on this.

FYI, the cameras that I can access now are Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2, these (indoors and outside) do exhibit the chattering almost static noise, something like a rustling of leaves or scratches on an vinyl record album. I recorded several of these cameras, and can upload them to you on request. These are split between two Base Stations, so no one Base Station is likely causing this. Nor was this noise a problem until recently.

I checked cameras at another remote home, those are Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2, and Arlo Q. All other cameras are 'behaving' but one - this is an Arlo Pro 2 that is normally silent, in a quiet room and this is now exhibiting a background sound, some high frequency squeal - annoying but would not mask a conversation being recorded for example. Curiously, one of the two Arlo Q in the same room indoors is completely silent - usually they have some audio of some kind of background sounds.

These are split between two Base Stations, so no one Base Station alone was likely causing this. Nor was this noise a problem until recently.

All the five Base Stations are each VMB4000r3, each with the latest firmware update 1.15.0.1_3162_d878851.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Erichockey15

Thank you for the video(s). You may send the videos or link to askarlo@arlo.com Attention Shayne/Mark. 

Erichockey15
Guide
Guide
One of videos were sent, thanks
RalphWiggum19
Initiate
Initiate

I also have the same problem, with the crackling noise. It occurs on two out of four cameras:

Pro 2  (x2) connected to mains power - crackling sound

Pro 2 running on battery power - no issues

Pro 3 running on battery power - no issues

I can remove the crackling sound by accessing the live feed, using the microphone (and saying something quickly). But it recurs after a period of time.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are any users experiencing this crackling issue with a base station (Model VMB4500)?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for your detailed reports,

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue with crackling/hissing Audio. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Judgedred127
Star
Star
Update from yesterday on iOS problem is still there. Not sure if that update included the crackling issue.
Mackdiesel
Initiate
Initiate
Hello everyone

For the past two weeks my audio on every recording has been scratchy. I can’t hear anything but this background noise on every single video. I have 7 cameras on two base stations and they all make this noise. I’ve reset the cameras, recharged the batteries, done everything under the sun to no avail. Any ideas?

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/B813038B24CAC7C1_202001
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

Hmm, from what I hear on your sample video clip yours sounds more like tape hiss,  similar to what I might hear on any Arlo recording but louder. Yours is not what I had complained about.

I have heard sounds like from cameras that on a windy day for example, but the tone and amplitude of wind would tend to not be as consistent through the entire recording as is yours.

Mine was sounding like rustling leaves, or scratchiness from an old vinyl record playing. I just noted over the recent couple of days most of my cameras audio went back to normal.

awayne06
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sounds like the same problem that the OP is having, it probably cannot be fixed until they put out a new update to the system itself.

JamesNZ
Initiate
Initiate

Hi.  I have an Ultra Base Station with a mix of cameras ... some Pro2 cameras and some Ultra cameras.  Only the Pro2 cameras seem to be adding scratchiness to the video recordings.

Spanners
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have the same problem at two separate houses since the January 2020 update.

4 x Pro 2 Powered cameras always crackle.

6 x Pro 2 battery only cameras are fine.

Base is VMB4000.

This is really annoying and affecting our audio security.

RobbieR33
Aspirant
Aspirant
Crackling issue with Alro Pro 2 camera plugged in with a base station VMB4000r3 plz help
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

Same here. I am getting the static/crackling sounds.

What's up with that?