Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Someone messing with my Arlo Pro 2 system? Receiving notification but no recordings & battery low?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
jim62
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I'm seeking help with my arlo pro 2. I want people's opinion if someone tried to mess with my system arlo pro 2 vmb5400 vmc4030p. I can't explain my position in life but feel somewhat threatened, hence a little paranoia. On Saturday had to go to a wedding, so I turned my phone off. When I turned it back on, the arlo notifications came through (unfortunately all same time stamp) 13 notifications of movement in my garage but no recordings. I checked the battery which was only charged a week ago and it was down to 11%, the other camera in a different location of my house still at 80%. I have never seen it this low and have previously not charged them for over a month. I'm wondering if someone could access my account and delete recordings, although when I access my account with anything but my trusted device (android phone)  it alerts me to verify a new login request. Could someone access my account with Arlo notifying me of a new user?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jim62 wrote:

When I turned it back on, the arlo notifications came through (unfortunately all same time stamp) 13 notifications of movement in my garage but no recordings. I checked the battery which was only charged a week ago and it was down to 11%, the other camera in a different location of my house still at 80%. I have never seen it this low and have previously not charged them for over a month. I'm wondering if someone could access my account and delete recordings, although when I access my account with anything but my trusted device (android phone)  it alerts me to verify a new login request. Could someone access my account with Arlo notifying me of a new user?

Advice above is worth following.  Strong passwords are good practice even if you use two-factor authentication.  And sometimes recordings don't get saved in the cloud, so using backup USB storage is also a good idea.

It sounds like you are already using two-factor authentication, so you should always get a verification when someone logs into the account.

Are you using activity zones on the camera in the garage?  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jim62
Aspirant
Aspirant

That last line should read..

Could someone access my account "without" Arlo notifying me of a new user?

Thanks 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jim62 wrote:

I'm wondering if someone could access my account and delete recordings...

One way to deal with that is to have local storage on a USB device in your hub.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And change your password to a strong one.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jim62 wrote:

When I turned it back on, the arlo notifications came through (unfortunately all same time stamp) 13 notifications of movement in my garage but no recordings. I checked the battery which was only charged a week ago and it was down to 11%, the other camera in a different location of my house still at 80%. I have never seen it this low and have previously not charged them for over a month. I'm wondering if someone could access my account and delete recordings, although when I access my account with anything but my trusted device (android phone)  it alerts me to verify a new login request. Could someone access my account with Arlo notifying me of a new user?

Advice above is worth following.  Strong passwords are good practice even if you use two-factor authentication.  And sometimes recordings don't get saved in the cloud, so using backup USB storage is also a good idea.

It sounds like you are already using two-factor authentication, so you should always get a verification when someone logs into the account.

Are you using activity zones on the camera in the garage?  

jim62
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to say thank you guys for the help. I'm following all your advice. But basically from what I understand, if I have a two-factor verification and someone logs in it will notify me on my trusted device.

That's great. I will change password and keep the batteries charged. 

Thanks all

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

One little thing to check just in case is that your home network is secure. It’s not impossible to access networks but some routers show what’s been connected to your network either through a simple dash screen or through logs.
make sure it’s secure ie check it’s locked down with the appropriate security protocols and look for any thing out of the ordinary. If in doubt change your Wi-fi password and your routers admin password too.
Make sure guest networks don’t have access rights either if you have one set up. Handy if you want to grant someone use but keeps them away from access. 
Turn off remote access if it’s on unless you require this to access your network.

some routers also have traffic monitors which are handy at times too if you looking for an increase in data usage.

Also make sure the router is locked down, there are sites that can check if you have open access. If the routers old consider a more up to date one and also check if you have a PMF setting and turn that on too.

check your routers firmware is up to date, normally updates include security fixes.

Also check all devices ie pc for any type of naughty programs doing its work. Good antivirus programs are a must for windows based stuff.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation