Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

So beginning in Jan. 2024, what will system be able to do?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

Not sure if anyone's answered this or not.....

So beginning in Jan. 2024, for my Arlo Pro2, what can I expect?

Without a paid subscription, will everything go black? no access to view my cameras?  etc.?

Without a paid subscription, what can I do? ...or am I stuck with 8 useless cameras?

8 REPLIES 8
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

The way I read it,  correct me if I'm wrong...........

Starting 01/2024, I will basically only be able to VIEW my LIVE cameras, it won't record anything.

If I want to pay $9.99 per month ($119.88 annually) for my 8 cameras  (starting in Feb. 2023)   it will do basically what it does now.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Yes, I read the same.

Arlo appears to be clearing all non subscription customers from its cloud storage platform. (I believe this is the main thrust of the EOL process.)

They are dropping email notifications and warnings. (Sounds like penny pinching.)

Cloud based activity zones will be dropped. (Although this may extend to all activity zones.)

As I further read the details I have concerns as to why they mention 1st January 2023. (Will we still be able to remove the camera from your account and add it back or will it no longer work at all come the EOL date.)

Lots of unknowns until the day comes I guess.

The decision ultimately will be up to the customer to take Arlo at their word.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

I feel bad for anyone that recently bought a Pro2 system.

I've had mine about 4.5 years.

If Arlo knew they were going to discontinue them, they should've stopped selling them.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Agreed,

It will hit the repair and resale market even more. Imagine your new EV car stops working after 4years due to forced inbuilt obsolescence.

The cameras are far from hardware EOL, I still have my original batteries and still going strong.

They changed the base station model with the ultra cameras so why are the older Base stations not impacted, or is that yet to come when arlo sales fall even further.

I think all this is all a huge gamble and pity anyone to come after.

My only hope is that a reverse software engineer can make a replacement app to disconnect arlo backend so we can continue on without arlo’s interference.  

RisDISAPOINTING
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am the one who JUST bought the Arlo pro 2 and they then announce the EOL.
Even more, the 4 camera system only have 1 camera working. The other 3 can't be activated.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@RisDISAPOINTING 

According to arlo you can have up to five non subscription legacy cameras on a account and have 7days cloud storage free until 2024.

It would not surprise me that they have nobbled this secretly for post 2022 users within the EOL announcement to prevent used products from being imported.

Question for you is can you add the other three cameras individually as if your account is maxed to a single camera limit?

Doing so and if your other cameras do function this way you could create single camera accounts and share the cameras to yourself. 

RisDISAPOINTING
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I guess I have reached the 5 camera limit and I'll use your tips to open another account and share.

For the eol of my newly bought pro2 cameras, I've no idea what I can do.

If I know that earlier, probably I'll just buy newer version. NoW, only disappointment.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation