Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
arlo-user123
Apprentice
Apprentice

Several of my daily videos are showing ridiculous time lengths (i.e. 2 hours) for a 30 second clip. Also, the playback just stops in the middle. Is anyone else having the same problem?

The time coding on the files is critical and Arlo needs to fix this problem.

109 REPLIES 109
arlo-user123
Apprentice
Apprentice

As soon as there's a fix, I will update everyone.

Rivet5
Aspirant
Aspirant
It appears the problem on the single arlo pro 2 Camera at my parents assisted-living has been resolved for me at least. I raised it about 6 feet and further away from the base station. I also disconnected the wire that would keep the camera fully charged all the time. I now have two minute videos with no interruptions and no longer have videos that appeared to record for 3 to 4 hours only then the stop within a few seconds I also added back the . Arlo pro camera that was originally in the location where I was having problems and it works fine too so basically I have two cameras focused on the same area and they’re working fine. This makes no sense to me but at least for now I don’t have any more problems with this particular issue
rondahl
Tutor
Tutor

Curious as to why there are no further entries on this thread since Apr 5th. Was the thread stopped or is their another explanation?

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

I guess no fix yet.

alaz3r
Aspirant
Aspirant
Still no answer to our concerns from Arlo team or at least a comment regarding my issue!!

Should I contact support ?should I wait ? I really need this freezing issue gone!!

I bought the Arlo product because the reputation and the good reviews now I totally regret every single dolor I spent.

Please answer/solution
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

ANy problem can (should?) be submitted to support. This is just a user forum where we try to help each other. Official support is totally different.

MattsCraft
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just installed my system over the weekend.  2 Cameras are on constant power, one is battery power only.

I have tested all 3, & they seem to be working properly - I am getting motion detection, & proper length videos on all 3.  I have 2 set up with Geofencing, & 1 with constant motion detection, which is on constant power.  I tested it 3 times & the notification, & video was the proper length.  Notifications came in both to my Iphone as well as my wifes.  She was out of the area, & I was in range, only the constant "Motion" camera triggered, so it seems the system is working as advertised.

So, I am new here, just purchased last week -  I updated everything during the install - possibly they have updated the firmware?

This brings me to the question - Do you need to bring the cameras close to the base station & re-sync to update?

Wirelezz
Apprentice
Apprentice

@MattsCraft wrote:

I updated everything during the install - possibly they have updated the firmware?

Tell us what firmware your running (Settings>My devices>pick any camera & do the same for your base station>scroll to the bottom>Device info).
MattsCraft
Aspirant
Aspirant

Camera -1.125.5.0_17202

Base Station - 1.9.8.0_16666

Wirelezz
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well that's the current firmware. Give it some time, I'm sure the problem will become evident soon.
Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
I still have the problem, as of yesterday. On my Pro 2s', the issue is more intermittent than on the Arlo Q's. On the Arlo Q's, once it happens to a camera you have to restart it sometimes several times to get it the issue to temporarily stop, and oftentimes that fix only last a few hours before you have to restart the camera again, over and over again.... But for my Pro 2's, the clip length stops and starts by itself. Some cameras worse than others.. I haven't been able to figure out any pattern. turning the camera on and off makes no difference.

As for firmware updates, as far as I can tell it happens on its own as long as it's connected to the base station.
tealtiger21
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've been noticing that some (not all) of my camera recordings tend to freeze after 15 seconds of recording. Sometimes it's only after a few seconds, but most of the time I've noticed the picture freezes at 15, even though the recording is longer than 15 seconds. My recording settings are for motion detection, and it's set to record for as long as motion is detected.

Anyone else experiencing this, and/or know how to fix it?

The_Wraith
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is a known issue with Arlo Pro 2 cameras.  An issue that has been kicking Netgear's butt for over a month with no resolution.  The issue is two-fold, not only are your recording being hung at 14 or 15 seconds, but your time stamps are WAY off.  Take a look at your library - you'll have motion recordings that are saying they are 3 HOURS LONG, etc.

I've opened up a support ticket on the matter and it took Netgear a month to even acknowledge the issue existed.  They have at least done that, but have no timeline on a fix.

Regards,
The Wraith
tealtiger21
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for responding. I have noticed at times the incorrect timestamps on recordings.

Hopefully they'll come up with a solution soon.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

agree with above.... but Also this can happen if using "record till motion stops" and the cam doesn't see anything.

I've found that a 'fixed' time is better and does solve this ( if this is the reason )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Steve3288
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes it happened to me too. It recorded 1-3 hours but run only 15 seconds. I called Netgear several times and no one can help. They told me someone from IT will call me back. I really regretted and very disappointed about their level of service and products. Keep away!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve3288
Aspirant
Aspirant
Agreed this problem. It happened to me too. It seems no one can help us at this point except throw away this trash and buy different brand.
fortysixand2
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah my system is brand new as well and I intermittently have the problem with the Pro 2s that are on AC power. No issue with the ones on battery power. This is really beginning to bug me, and it should be a simple fix. Netgear is taking way too long on this, and if my return period is nearing its end without a fix - they're going back. Totally ridiculous to me. These aren't cheap cameras. 

fortysixand2
Tutor
Tutor

I also can't seem to give kudos on this forum whether or not I'm using my laptop or my phone. Just clicking the thumbs up doesn't do the trick. 

Steve3288
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes it happened to me too. It recorded 1-3 hours but run only 15 seconds. I called Netgear several times and no one can help. They told me someone from IT will call me back. I really regretted and very disappointed about their level of service and products. Keep away!!!!!!!!!!!!
Twg2984
Tutor
Tutor
I have the same issue. As stated above I notice when I unplug them from ac, the problem goes away. Makes no sense as the more features such as activity zones are only available on ac. This is so frustrating and a waste of a ton of money. Netgear says they are working on the issue but no one seems to have a fix.
ArloManDan
Tutor
Tutor

Unfortunately, I'm pretty disappointed as well. I can't believe how much time I've already spent on the forums in just four days of ownership/use. I couldn't imagine paying for cloud service this glitchy.

Mack1359
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm sorry to hear what you've gone through for 4 days. Imagine how frustrated the rest of us are after 7 weeks!!  Many pointless calls to Arlo and they smugly reply each time with " Yes, we know there's a problem, engineering are looking into it".

You'll notice here not a single update from an executive or senior staff member at Arlo.  They're using the approach of just ignoring us and hoping we'll go away.

MattsCraft
Aspirant
Aspirant

All - Really sorry you all are having so many issues - Certainly understand your frustrattion.

I'm now 5 days in & the system is working still as advertised.  I have 2 cameras on corded power, one on battery only. (no close power supply) Geofencing is working properly, and have one camera recording constant.  I did purchase the CVR for 2 cameras, & nothing has changed, other than for some reason I am now not getting email allerts, just Ios notifications.  My activations Vids are 9-14 seconds long.   Yesterday was a very windy day, so my deck cam was going off due to my Canopy structure in the frame was flapping in the wind. - I had about 6 motion activations, all were 9-14 second duration Vids.

Sitting on the deck yesterday, thinking about this, brought me to this question?

I have all my cameras mounted using the 3rd party screw in stand mounts for one.  Second, I am using the Wasserstein Outdoor rated power cords.  I did not like the idea of the magnet mounts, just too easy to steal the cameras.

So my question is - The few that have mentioned the issue goes away when off of constant power... Are you using the magnet mount or screw in mount.  The magnets are pretty strong, is it possible this could be casuing some type of wacky interfirence? Is the actual power cord the issue also?

Just a thought from my engineering brain.  Best of luck to Ya'll

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A cloud update was released late last night that resolves this issue. No user interaction is required to see this fix. Please let us know if you continue to experience this issue moving forward.

JamesC