Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
arlo-user123
Apprentice
Apprentice

Several of my daily videos are showing ridiculous time lengths (i.e. 2 hours) for a 30 second clip. Also, the playback just stops in the middle. Is anyone else having the same problem?

The time coding on the files is critical and Arlo needs to fix this problem.

109 REPLIES 109
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, this is a known issue by Netgear and they are working on it.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Bavenite
Guide
Guide

Are tyey working or the recording time error, improving motion detection,or both? 😉

Rivet5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just upgraded to Arlo pro 2 at my parents assisted living. I used the same setting as my Arlo pro. Record on motion (set around 50 sensitivity) and record for 65 seconds. The new camera records some clips at exactly 1 minute 5 seconds. Then it will record several in a row that show 2 to 4 hours recording time minutes after the last 1 minute 5 second clip. Whenever I play the clips back that have these strange recording times the video will freeze after 20-30 seconds but I can still hear audio. It's really aggravating.ive tried adjusting everything, sensitivity, length, setting up specific zones etc and nothing works. I've just switched to "record until motion stops" and see if it still occurs. But I don't want dozens of 12 second clips every time my dad moves in his chair. Any ideas? 

rscott09
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same problem as reported above with me new Arlo Pro 2. Video freezes but audio still plays.  Some clips show a duration of over 2 plus hours which is obviously not correct.

annoyedpc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem. When I'm truying to playback on my iPhoneX (through the app) the playback freezes, if I try to fast forward it freezes and sometime the tine at the bottom indicated 5 hours which I. know isnt correct. I'm beyond frustrated. They worked for the past year but have seem to develop this issue in 2018.  Can anyone PLEASE HELP ME?

alaz3r
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Guys,

i have the same issue now for almost 2 weeks !!

i had this camera for a while and never had any issues with it untill now!

must of the clips recorded at 21 seconds but it won't play back in full

it will freeze after few seconds of playback which is so frustrating.

and i can see that few also having the same issue and i was hoping

to ready answer or solution here but unfortunatly no help

any help will be appriciated

Harleyboy46
Aspirant
Aspirant

Harleyboy46
Aspirant
Aspirant
Help me somebody please
alaz3r
Aspirant
Aspirant
I learned that if you download the freezing clip to your computer it will play normal

But this is not convenient to me especially when I have to travel a lot and need to access my recording on the move by mobile

Is it a framework issue can someone please shed some light over this issue ?
Rivet5
Aspirant
Aspirant
First I only tried one of my 5 arlo pro 2 cameras so far. I’m using it at my parents assisted living. I had no issues with the arlo pro model I had before. I’m going to 1) try a different location and height from base station and see if that resolves it. If not I’ll try another arlo pro 2 camera. Also I’ll try substituting the other 4 arlo pro2 with my current models. If the problem appears in more than one camera I’ll return the whole set to Costco since the arlo pro 720 p worked just fine. If I have any luck I’ll let group know.
BobP3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am seeing basicly the samething. Videos freeze after a few seconds and lengths are also wierd. I have cameras set to stop recoding after motion stops to a Max of 300s. I have seen video lenths on the Netgear Arlo Server as long as 45 minutes when in reality they should have been around 15 seconds. I am also very sure it is a Netgear Arlo cloud server issue and not hardware itself, i will get to that conclusion in a sec. The odd behavior happens on motion or on manual recordings. It happens in Windows or in IOS. Now the reason for my earlier conclusion, I also store all my videos on a local drive and the same videos stored locally are all the correct length. this would indicate to me that error is cloud side. I guess it could be how the base is uploading them but it is not realted to the cameras themselves. I also add that I have seen this same subject on the forum multiple times.  I think it is time for netgear to step up to plate and explain this to its user base and come up with a solution for cloud stored videos.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
Hi, someone just shared on the parallel Arlo Q thread that tech support contacted them to let them know that they supposedly fixed this problem last week.

I have numerous Arlo Q's and Pro 2's. I first noticed the issue on the Arlo Q's and then it spread to my Pro2's. As recently as yesterday April 1, I still had the issue on several Pro 2s. So no, the issue is not fixed. Has anyone else experienced the issue on their Pro 2's within the last few days?

I have to double-check my Arlo Q's. I've been unplugging them as much as possible to reduce aggravation and blood pressure.....
arlo-user123
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am in contact with programming directly in Encino and can confirm the problem is NOT FIXED as of now but they are "working on it" at the highest levels. I have not been given an ETA as of yet but will report back to this post when I know more.

Wirelezz
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for the update arlo-user 123., please keep us posted! Yes, the problem is definitely NOT fixed.. I've had three 2hr. and one 4hr. recording today..
Mack1359
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm predicting that now that Arlo has communicted on IG that the problem is fixed with these updates - thats it.  We'll either have no other attempted fix or we'll have to wait ANOTHER 6 weeks for the next update. My cameras are still showing 3 hours etc. for a 2 minute clip

Wirelezz
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mack1359, what exactly was said by Arlo on IG? I don't have an Instagram account, so if it's not too inconvenient could you possibly copy and paste what was announced on IG and post it here on this thread?
rondahl
Tutor
Tutor
I have 3 camera's, all hooked up to AC. All three have this problem. When I disconnect the AC, everything works as it should. Until they fix the problem, I'm running the camera's on battery power. As stated above, this problem has existed for about 3 weeks now.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I am also still having this problem.  I checked a few of the recordings with unusually long times reported on the clips.  Several of my clips were tagged as having greater than 6 hour lengths.  When I view the clips a significant number of them seem to stop recording at exactly 14 seconds...then the progress bar keeps moving along the bogus timeline even though there is no video actually recorded.

Wirelezz
Apprentice
Apprentice

@AncientGeekwrote:

I am also still having this problem.  I checked a few of the recordings with unusually long times reported on the clips.  Several of my clips were tagged as having greater than 6 hour lengths.  When I view the clips a significant number of them seem to stop recording at exactly 14 seconds...then the progress bar keeps moving along the bogus timeline even though there is no video actually recorded.

If you drag the timeline indicator to the very end of the multi hour recording you'll see that the rest of the video recording is there, but with no sound. The full amount of the sound is recorded at the beginning, even though the video always freezes at approx. 15 - 20 seconds.
NicheFarmer
Star
Star

FYI (my wife noticed this):

The ridiculously long videos seem to run for 14 seconds and then stop. But if you click on the timeline (e.g., above Share) the time will jump way ahead and the videos will continue. It looks like they may record the required amount of time (or a little more) but there is a time warp inserted in the middle. Depending on the ridiculously long time, you may be able to pause and change the view time by clicking on the on the timeline but often the remaining time is such a small portion of the multiple hours shown that you can't manipulate it (but you can watch the video).

Wirelezz
Apprentice
Apprentice

@NicheFarmerwrote:

FYI (my wife noticed this):

Depending on the ridiculously long time, you may be able to pause and change the view time by clicking on the on the timeline but often the remaining time is such a small portion of the multiple hours shown that you can't manipulate it (but you can watch the video).

Exactly! It's impossible to "manipulate" the timeline indicator to view the last minute (or less) of these multi-hour recordings on the Arlo App with one's finger on either an Android or an iPhone, but it's definitely doable on a computer using a mouse or trackpad.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I went back to my 6 hour + videos and found that my experience doesn't match yours.  After the 14 second, I have a single frozen frame with no real video there.  I can "play" from there, but that is just showing the last frame.  When I download the video, it is only 2.7 MB which is very small and more akin to the size of a photo than a 6 hour video.  It also plays exactly the same way after the download and I did separate downloads on ios and MacOS to see if the app and browser interface showed any difference...which they do not.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I'm also seeing his problem
vmmvmmm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also seeing this issue both at home and with my system at our office.  We have several videos that look like they are several minutes to more than an hour long, but the video freezes after a few seconds, and the audio freezes or begins to repeat a minute or so later.  It's very frustrating.

arlo-user123
Apprentice
Apprentice

From the White Hat at Netgear I am working with: "I am literally walking over to talk to the engineer responsible for this effort to get an update." He is aware that the problem is not fixed and is checking with the social media team to see why they posted that it was.