Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recording settings question for Arlo Pro 2

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
schall12345
Follower
Follower

1) How do I "draw a box" around the area on a video screen that I only want a notification to happen if activity is in that box. For example our front porch also records the neighbor's side gate, so I don't want notifications everytime they go in the gate.

2) For my 3 cameras, the setting is "record until activity stops" However, the video does not start recording as soon as somebody enters the video area, and it will cut off (still under 300 seconds) when somebody is still moving in the video area.

Please help with these 2 items. I have 3 Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@schall12345 wrote:

1) How do I "draw a box" around the area on a video screen that I only want a notification to happen if activity is in that box. For example our front porch also records the neighbor's side gate, so I don't want notifications everytime they go in the gate.

Use the web ui on a PC, and go into device settings.  Activity zones are created in the video settings section.   I suggest a PC because I find it easier to do this with a mouse.

The activity zones work if the camera is AC powered or have a smart subscription for the camera. 

If you are battery powered (with the smart subscription) you will reduce the number of recordings and notifications, but you won't improve the battery live. That's because the recordings will still be streamed to the cloud whenever the camera detects motion.  It'll be analyzed in the cloud, and the recording will be automatically discarded if the motion is outside of the zone.

@schall12345 wrote:

2) For my 3 cameras, the setting is "record until activity stops" However, the video does not start recording as soon as somebody enters the video area, and it will cut off (still under 300 seconds) when somebody is still moving in the video area.

Motion detection will work more reliably when the camera is AC powered.  Either way, the camera is most sensitive to side-to-side motion.  There are some tips on camera positioning that can help improve motion detection here: https://kb.arlo.com/000051462/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Pro-2-camera

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation