Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recently purchased Linksys Velop mesh wifi system but Arlo app cannot discover camera

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
soberlegalguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

P

I recently purchase the Linksys Velop mesh wifi system. The wifi system works great but for some reason I am having difficulty because the ARLO app is unable to discover the cameras. SO I attempted to use my MacBook and it is unable to connect to the base station or discover any cameras. The cameras worked fine on the previous router and modem. I am totally powerless. Please help. FYI all three green led lights are lighted on the base station. 

5 REPLIES 5
elykoj
Tutor
Tutor
I’ve read people having this issue with mesh. I am about to do same but with google mesh. I’ve read that since the Arlo only works on 2.4 , and it’s trying to connect to 5ghz which won’t work.
NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

Arlo camera system works where the camera connects to the base system and the base is connected to the router or an extender/AP. The camera does not connect to your Wi-fi like other devices.

I would double check the Linksys router to insure the Arlo connected base has permission to gain access to your network then go from there. Some routers don’t play ball like others and some have settings to control access to networks. 
One of the reasons the camera connects to the base only is PMF or protected management frames which is a security protocol that most Wi-fi 5 routers don’t employ where as the new Wi-fi 6 does. In simple terms it can be disconnected through an attack on the Wi-fi which is very important hence why the camera connects to base only.

Invalid_user
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I had the same problem with an Arlo Pro3 SmartHub. Since the Velop base has only one Ethernet out (and it goes to our Smart TV) I bought a TP-Link unmanaged switch to handle more connections. Everything failed unless the Arlo was plugged into the Velop base (and then the Smart TV wouldn’t work via the switch).
Could this mean that a switch with PoE (Power over Ethernet) would do the job?
soberlegalguy
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don’t know. Sorry. My ARLO system still isn’t working. Such waste of $
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

It is hard to understand what your problem is.

As @NewfieDrool says, the wifi from your Linksys Velop has nothing to do with the Arlo cameras and their wifi. They talk to the hub. You plug that into your router.

If you want help in fixing your problem you will have to explain what you are doing and where it goes wrong. Simply repeating "isn’t working" will get us, and you, nowhere.

Can you access your my.arlo.com account in a web browser?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation