Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Receive so many iPhone notifications from someone walking across yard, and 14-day timeout?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
arlouser117
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Community,

My wife and I work from home, and come and go between buildings all day.

Has anyone looked into why i MUST allow notifications to blow up my iPhone all day when someone walks across the yard?

And, honestly, why is it that even if I allow this, the trust expires every two weeks and I must go through the login process again?

I understand security, but I am not worried at all that someone will use my encrypted phone, 15 miles from the nearest town, to spy on my lawn. 

Anyone have a workaround?

Thanks,

Wally

5 REPLIES 5
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi arlouser117,

You can optimize motion detection on your camera to avoid receiving too many push notifications, which you can refer to here: 

You can also try using Geofencing mode to turn off motion detection on your camera when you or your wife returns home and to turn on motion detection when both of you leave home. You can read more about Geofencing here: How does Arlo Geofencing work and how do I set it up?

And for the 14-day or two weeks that you are referring to, this is specifically for trusted browsers. You can read more about it here: What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?

arlouser117
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't wish to reduce sensitivity, I wish to not have my phone blown up with unnecessary and absolutely unwanted notifications all day.

And if you read my original post, you'll see that we don't leave in the morning, etc..., so the GeoFencing suggestion is ridiculous. 

Arlo insists that I turn on push notifications on my iPhone. Why?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlouser117 wrote:

I wish to not have my phone blown up with unnecessary and absolutely unwanted notifications all day.

Then set up a custom mode that records the motion videos, but doesn't send the push notification. https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

You can then choose to

• use this mode all the time
  • manually switch to it when you don't want notifications
  • engage that mode on a schedule
  • engage that mode with geofencing (which can be combined with a schedule)

This will apply to both your phone and your wife's - the mode applies to the camera+base, not the app.  But you can also mute the notifications in the app settings if you just want to suppress them on one phone.

arlouser117
Aspirant
Aspirant

You've explained THAT you have restrictive requirements, but not WHY.

I have no interest in complicated half-measure workarounds of your inexplicable restrictions.

I paid a lot for this system, and it should be more easily configurable to my needs.

You may close this ticket. I will not be expanding my system.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlouser117 wrote:

You've explained THAT you have restrictive requirements, but not WHY.

This is a user forum, and I don't work for Arlo.

FWIW, setting up a custom mode w/o the push notification doesn't seem very "restrictive" to me.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation