Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Zelda19
Aspirant
Aspirant

1. Arlo-sold in white only and if you want black you need to order a skin?

2. Concern on internet and being able to use this camera. Currently have internet in my home 5.0 download and upload fluctuates .32 to .60mbps. Is that sufficient for two cameras if I am also doing local recording to USB? I will have two cameras and won’t be using mobile alerts.

3. Outdoor power adapter If it is plugged in and power goes out, will it convert to battery?

4. The optional 24/7 CVR continuous recording in cloud, is that still for 7 days? If camera is plugged inside but pointed outside? IS that only with a paid plan?

5. If I just want local backup, you connect a USB drive to base.  What size is recommended?

6. How long are recordings? As long as their is motion? or is there a limit?

7. Is the 7 days storage, 7 -24 hour days?

8. If you are doing local recording on a USB and have two cameras, how does that work?

9. The separate rechargeable battery does that come with a cable to charge to a wall outlet or do you need a charging station?  Is this the same cable and power adapter that comes with a 2 camera system?

10. What is the difference between outdoor mount and outdoor security mount?

7 REPLIES 7
Justanother1
Guide
Guide

You're asking GREAT questions ... but here's what you REALLY need to know about CVR.  It's optional as you might have seen, but it's absolutely worthless because you can't download anything from the CVR.  And timestamps are not overlaid on ANY videos.

Oh, and if you're really concerned about security, you should ask about two factor authentication.  And the ability to view your CVR and live stream WITHOUT the requirement of Flash (Arlo doesn't have the slightest clue that it doesn't work).

As for length of recording, if you have CVR it'll always record.  If you have it set to motion trigger, then you'll be able to home in on the timeline to see where the motion triggered.  If you don't have CVR, then your motion trigger will cause a recording for up to three minutes or until motion stops.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1) so far

2) No GOOD... min is listed at 1Mbs up and I recommend 2Mbs up for good service

3) yes

4) CVR is for 14 dys, its a paid extra per camera and it need ac power to do it... you can have it look thru glass if on cvr but it will not trigger on motion due to glass blocking IR

5) at least 16Gb...64Gb is usu plenty

6) timed setting up to 300 sec OR till motion stops

7) rolling storage, on the 8th day , day 1 is auto deleted. etc

😎 you can not record directly to usb...it is a backup for triggered recordings ( all go to cloud )

9) you get usu 1 charger in a kit , not one for each camera. it is not the charge tube ( extra )

10) it can be the half ball / magnetic mount or a screw on mount

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Zelda19
Aspirant
Aspirant

so it looks like I can't use this camera with my current internet service?

My only concern is recording triggered by motion.  Ideally I'd like them all on USB, it is then in my control. So you are saying I can't opperate the camera this way? I don't care if they go to the cloud, I want recordings locally.

So i understand the charging tube is extra, is it necessary to have it or can you simply charge to a wall outlet and is the cable included with a new battery?

Again what is the difference between the regular outdoor mount VMA4000 and VMA1000 other than one being thinner. To they operate differently? Do they both tilt and move to set the camera?

Zelda19
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've recieved two different answers on the length of recordings 3 minutes and 5 minutes or until motion stops. Which one is it?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No good for your service with low speeds.

all goes the the cloud ( esp the cvr does not record local ) . Only motion triggered recordings get back up to the usb

you can use the special dual voltage ac adapter and plug it into the camera to charge

the 1000 is taller and more adjustable... the 4000 is a rotating ball ( by friction ) with a screw mount.

You can see all the accessories at the top of the arlo page under Products

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Zelda19 wrote:

I've recieved two different answers on the length of recordings 3 minutes and 5 minutes or until motion stops. Which one is it?

fix time up to 300 second OR till motion stops...

but it's all moot since it won't work for you

Dannybear
Master
Master
And if you loose the internet then triggered recordings to USB backup only work for battery only cameras. That’s assuming the base station remains online for you.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation