Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
UnfundedNut
Aspirant
Aspirant

We recently purchased a home that has several Pro 2 cameras.

From what I am reading I would need a base station to get these cameras up and running.

Before I make that purchase tho, I need to know, what are the chances of making these work? I do not if they have been removed from whatever account they are associated with. I attempted to open a support ticket, but since the Pro 2's are EOL it wouldn't allow me to.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@UnfundedNut wrote:

From what I am reading I would need a base station to get these cameras up and running.

Before I make that purchase tho, I need to know, what are the chances of making these work? I do not if they have been removed from whatever account they are associated with. 

The main risk is that the previous owner forgot to remove them from their account.  No way to guestimate how likely that is.

UnfundedNut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen.

So from what I am understanding, the newer cameras don't need a base station?

I am probably better off just getting new items VS spending the money on a base station on a chance they were de-registered?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@UnfundedNut wrote:

So from what I am understanding, the newer cameras don't need a base station?

Most don't.  Pro 3 and Ultra still do need a smarthub.

@UnfundedNut wrote:

I am probably better off just getting new items VS spending the money on a base station on a chance they were de-registered?

That's a complicated question.

Currently sold cameras all require a subscription to get any cloud recordings But the Pro 2 models were sold with free 7-day cloud storage, so if you were able to connect them to a new base you wouldn't need an Arlo Secure subscription to see recordings in the app and browser interface.

However the Pro 2 cameras go end-of-life at the end of the year.  They should still work after that, but there are no guarantees that will continue indefinitetly.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation