Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
gmac66
Tutor
Tutor

Hello Arlo,

I have had a base setup and the 2 original wireless cameras and VMB3000 base forever.
I was your biggest fan and advocate because I had great technology without an ongoing service fee.

The resolution is lower and I had no care for sound so all was great.

About 7 months ago we had a bike theft in the driveway so I decided to add a Pro2 camera.
I bought the "one camera plus VMB3500 base station" kit just in case my existing internal base station was too far from the garage.  I also hard wired a power cord for both Pro2 camera and base station out to the garage door along with an ethernet cable to ensure great connectivity between the new camera and the new base.

From day 1 the pro camera never seemed to stay connected long. I keep extending the base station to be closer to the point that now the base station is mounted on an eave outside the garage about 4ft from the camera .... still fails all the time.  If I unplug the camera and bring it right next to the base, I can sync them.
As soon as I go down the ladder and mount the camera (4ft away) it disconnects!!

Please help.
I am at the point of just throwing the camera away (or maybe the base also).
I would gladly accept two used components to test with as that will be the only method to determine if one of my existing items is bad.

Sincerely,
Your former Arlo Enthusiast. 

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gmac66 wrote:

I keep extending the base station to be closer to the point that now the base station is mounted on an eave outside the garage about 4ft from the camera .... still fails all the time.  If I unplug the camera and bring it right next to the base, I can sync them.
As soon as I go down the ladder and mount the camera (4ft away) it disconnects!!

Obviously time to try something different.😉

There are three possibilities:

• an intermittent problem with the ethernet connection
  • something wrong with the base
  • something wrong with the camera

You can diagnose the ethernet connection the base by looking at the LED status when the camera disconnects.  Your router/switch likely also has LEDs that will show you the connection status.  https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

You can also check to see if the base is offline from the web ui (or the app) when the connection fails.

Other troubleshooting steps: 

• Try moving the camera near the original base, and pair the camera with that base instead.  See if the camera still disconnects.
  • Try swapping one of your original cameras (pairing it with the new base), and see if that camera has a solid connection
  • Try moving the base and camera into the house for a test, and see if the connection is stable there.

How far is the camera from the original base?  It is possible that you can simply pair the camera with the original indoor base.

gmac66
Tutor
Tutor

There are three possibilities: I Agree 100% with 3 root causes listed

• an intermittent problem with the ethernet connection Not Likely as I use the internet all day long for work at home.
  • something wrong with the base Perhaps, but the VMB3000 has been rock solid for 3+ years ... electronics do not typically fail like this
  • something wrong with the camera Very Likely ... but I do not have many options for a camera that talks to VMB3000 base.

Other troubleshooting steps: 

• Try moving the camera near the original base, and pair the camera with that base instead.  See if the camera still disconnects. Great idea .. I removed the 2nd VMB3500 base and connected Pro2 camera with the older VMB3000 base.
    It worked for about one day ..then disconnects and behaves just like it did when connected with the newer base I located 3ft from the newer  Pro2 camera.
  • Try swapping one of your original cameras (pairing it with the new base), and see if that camera has a solid connection
    Great Idea.  I did not bother as I have given up on the new VMB3500 base all together
  • Try moving the base and camera into the house for a test, and see if the connection is stable there.
    Great, My older VMB3000 base has never shown offline or indicated intermittent connectivity for 3+ years.
    Recently (since Pro2 Camera arrived) some of the reliable Wire-free cameras have begun acting up.

I am on the no-subscription option .... so I am starting to fear this might be planned obsolescence or faults to encourage subscription?  Time for me to monitor Reddit and see ith others are experiencing the same recent change?

I am open to any other ideas.

Thanks

Greg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gmac66 wrote:
  • an intermittent problem with the ethernet connection Not Likely as I use the internet all day long for work at home.

FWIW, I meant the actual ethernet connection from the base to your router, not your internet connection.  A loose connection in the cable, or a failing NIC on one end or the other.

@gmac66 wrote:
    Great Idea.  I did not bother as I have given up on the new VMB3500 base all together

Not sure why.  The pro2 failed the same way with both bases, which points to the camera, and not the base.  Switching another camera to the new base would have potentially confirmed that the issue is the camera.

@gmac66 wrote:

I am starting to fear this might be planned obsolescence or faults to encourage subscription? 

That of course is not provable. 

FWIW, I have three Pro2 cameras that are not on a subscription, and mine are not disconnecting.  They happen to be paired with a VMB5000 base.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Just a thought,
Try the pro 2 cameras on battery only to see if they disconnect.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation