Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 2 outdoor power cable question

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jintek
Guide
Guide

I need assistance and advice on whether outdoor power cables both work and do they charge my battery in the camera without damaging it over time.

I’d like to setup one of my camera with a power cable to both power the camera and take advantage of the 3 second look back feature and activity zones. I also want to keep the battery inside the camera Incase of power outage I still record footage via local storage on the base station.

However, reading old posts on here I see that Arlo proprietary power cables have been recalled due to water entering and damaging the cameras. Also, it’s not clear if the cables will continuously charge the battery thereby degrading the battery quicker.

Can I use a generic power cable? Are there power requirements for the cable to have to power the camera?
Will powering the camera via cable ruin the battery inside?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The current Arlo outdoor cables should work fine.

Arlo says that the batteries won't overcharge.  https://kb.arlo.com/000045840/Can-Arlo-Pro-and-Arlo-Go-batteries-overcharge-if-I-leave-the-camera-or...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The current Arlo outdoor cables should work fine.

Arlo says that the batteries won't overcharge.  https://kb.arlo.com/000045840/Can-Arlo-Pro-and-Arlo-Go-batteries-overcharge-if-I-leave-the-camera-or...

Jintek
Guide
Guide
I’m interested more in a generic brand because I need the cable to be 18-20+ feet long. However, I’m trying to avoid any proprietary issues which is why I’m asking for any tips and tricks.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jintek wrote:
I’m interested more in a generic brand because I need the cable to be 18-20+ feet long. However, I’m trying to avoid any proprietary issues which is why I’m asking for any tips and tricks.

Arlo of course doesn't recommend third party chargers.

I'm using Arlo chargers myself, so I don't have any info on which third party chargers work best.  @TomMac might have some suggestions (or at least specs). 

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Arlo has released a new "waterproof" style of outdoor power adapter which I bought two of. They seem to work fine so far.

As for the length? I also needed a much longer cord so I just used an outdoor extension cord. Where the Arlo product plugs into the extension cord I wrapped some plastic bags around this area and tied it up securely to prevent water getting into that connection. I am able to suspend that connection off the ground behind a bush to make sure it never ends up submerged in a puddle.

I have been plugging Christmas lights into outdoor extension cords for years with no issue, and these end up buried in snow. I see no problem with using an extension cord with the OEM Arlo power adapter.

So far it is working well.  

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation