Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
sturgigk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm not able to mount the camera outside but when I have inside pointed directly into glass it doesn't detect motion even with the sensitivity set to 100%. Any suggestions? Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Dave32B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Plug the camera in.

When using with battery it uses it to detect motion which the glass is blocking.

When plugged in it can also detect motion via pixel examination. This takes too much power to do on battery

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately that's not true. The P2 cameras use the PIR sensor to detect motion and then pixel detection for zones when plugged in. None of the wireless cameras work through glass but the Q cameras do.

Dave32B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pixel detection will work through glass if the cam is plugged in as I said. I have one cam detecting motion off a mirror. Pixel detection doesn't care about glass

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's possible the newer firmware has changed how the cameras detect. Thanks for the info - I'll have to check it out.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I just tested this with a P2 that was plugged in. There was a firmware update since the camera had been out of service so that was installed. Placed it near a glass door where it picked up me opening and closing the door but there was no recording while in the other side of the glass. So, new firmware hasn't enabled pixel detection - it's still based on PIR detection which doesn't work through glass.

Dave32B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is your camera plugged in or on battey?  Odd that mine detects motion via a mirror (plugged in using frame compare)

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@Dave32B wrote:

Is your camera plugged in or on battey?  Odd that mine detects motion via a mirror (plugged in using frame compare)

I don't think using a mirror is the same as the camera looking through a pane of glass to detect an object on the opposite side.  In my testibng a Pro 2 won't detect through a pane of glass.  With a mirror, both the camera and the object to be detected are on the same side of the glass. I suspect it's working for you with a mirror because the IR from the detected object is reflecting off the surface of the glass.  Try to detect an object on the other side of a pane of glass (e.g. through a window) and see if it still works for you.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just to be clear, my test used a camera without a battery and plugged in.

Dave32B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Could be.

But my understanding is when plugged in, it doesnt just do IR it also compares pixels from frame to frame.  Logically I dont see why it wouldnt work.   Ill setup a test sometime and try it for my own curiosity.

sturgigk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for all the responses. Now I'm really baffled. I left the camera on today and did not move it or otherwise change anything (it is battery powered). Received notice this afternoon motion was detected but the recording was of our storm door AFTER our cleaning lady had opened the door (also glass) not her walking up to the front door. For the next 15 minutes or so I got one notice after the other from only the trees blowing in the yard even after turning the sensitivity down to about 50%. I finally had to turn the camera off. When I arrived home I turned the came back and no motion was detected even with me tapping the glass directly in front of the camera and regardless of the sensitivity setting. So it is detecting through glass but intermittently and not in a helpful manner. Jeez. 

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@Dave32B wrote:

Could be.

But my understanding is when plugged in, it doesnt just do IR it also compares pixels from frame to frame.  Logically I dont see why it wouldnt work.   Ill setup a test sometime and try it for my own curiosity.

When plugged in, the camera triggers using passive IR, same as when on batteries.

When plugged in, and a motion zone is set, the camera triggers when passive IR is triggered AND there is motion (pixel changes) in the zone.

Typical household glass absorbs most of the IR energy, so the camera will not trigger looking through a pane of glass.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation