Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 2 cannot connect to WiFi but Base Station? Need to move Base Station to improve connectivity?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ArloPro2User6
Follower
Follower

I want to make sure I understand how this works before I go out and start doing things to improve my connections to four cameras. I think the product description is a bit misleading when it refers to the cameras as WiFi cameras. You cannot connect the cameras via WiFi. You have to connect the cameras to a base station. Now it might be that the base station is a WiFi network protocol. But that might lead one to believe you can connect to the base station via WiFi. No, the Base station has to be a hardwired LAN connection to your home network. There is no consumer usable WiFi features associated with this product. You can't even extend the range of it with a WiFi extender.

To improve connectivity you have to either move the base station to optimum location to capture all cameras or buy another base station. I guess NetGear is ashamed of the fact the cameras operate on their own propriety secured network because they don't spell it out clearly and want to lead you to believe they're WiFi cameras. I mean technically they might be, but in all practicality they're not. Am I understanding this correctly?

Arlo Pro2 /Base Station VMB400

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ArloPro2User6 wrote:

... I guess NetGear ...

Arlo is it's own company, and hasn't been part of Netgear since 31 Dec 2018.

@ArloPro2User6 wrote:

Now it might be that the base station is a WiFi network protocol. But that might lead one to believe you can connect to the base station via WiFi. No, the Base station has to be a hardwired LAN connection to your home network. There is no consumer usable WiFi features associated with this product.

It uses a closed wifi network for the cameras.  That has some technical advantages - in particular the protocol can be adapted to use less power.  In addition, there are some security benefits.

One disavantage is the lack of an extender.  And of course, the need for a separate base station.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation