Pro 2 cameras detecting motion outside of activity zones

Discussion stats
  • 34 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 12 In Conversation
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

I have seen tons of complaints about the Arlo systems in general and wonder how Arlo can honestly believe this is a security system. I purchased this system Arlo pro 2 because it got pretty great reviews on Best Buy but I am thinking now that those reviews were not real.  Since I installed this system 3 weeks ago nothing has worked right especially my cameras not recording. I have 5 of them and only one seems to work.  I have contacted Arlo support several times with no fix and have also read all the complaints on here about this same issue but nowhere do I see a fix.  Somewhere I saw that this issue was resolved but clearly not.  So $800.00 later I have a touted security system that is useless.  I can't bring it back and Arlo wont do anything... Buyer beware!

Model: VMC4030P | Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree with the the previous entry. support is not very helpful in resolving issues. My problem is with activity zone and motion activating notification outside of the activity zone. Several times I have been asked to remove/deleted the activity zones then add the activity zone again which does not resolve my issue. What's the saying, doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.  Now my Arlo Pro 2 camera without the Smart Plan does not record video of motion. This is just after purchasing the Smart Plan for my front camera.

Highlighted
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @ENF

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest any prior methods you have previously performed.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have removed the device, South Camera, added the device. Stopped and started my base station. 

When performing the "Motion detection Test" the South Camera picks up movement, camera flashes yellow.

When in live mode I can see myself in the camera view.

This all started happening just after I went on the "Smart Plan Single Camera" for my Front Camera.

My Front Camera has a view of a busy street.

Thanks for your interest in my issue 

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can agree with you whole hearthly. Support/fixes leave something to  be desired/

Highlighted
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @barnes3001

Are vehicles being detected outside of the zones, or all motion such as people/animals?

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, objects outside activity zone trigger recording/alerts. That is even tweaking sensitivity.

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station, VMC4030P | Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera
Highlighted
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is there anybody that can clear this up for me? Do activity zones only work with a paid subscription and with an AC connection?  I've read conflicting articles about this.

Couple of my cameras read "AC power has been disconnected from your Arlo device. Activity Zones are currently disabled". I'm using batteries and what I thought was working correctly, isn't. Meaning activity zones are NOT working on battery power and a paid subscription.

Thanks

Model: VMB4500 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

Zones on the Pro2 ( TMK ) do not require ac power.... but can still record if outside zones, but you should not get a notice or recording in library ( as the zone info is processed at the cloud end to determine if you need to be notified )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Highlighted
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm getting recorded video to my library that shows no activity in the designated activity zone. There is a lot of movement from tree branches moving due to the wind. I purposely made the activity zones as small as possible and in areas that avoid all this branch movement.

The AC error message only shows in my chrome browser but not on my iOS app. This seems odd to me.

Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

@ScotCamera wrote:

Meaning activity zones are NOT working on battery power and a paid subscription.

I've seen this also, and reported it to Arlo.  It seems to come and go.  Right now I'm only seeing it on a camera on a trial subscription. But I've seen it on other cameras over the past couple of weeks.

I'm not 100% sure that the warning means that activity zones aren't working.  The warning might just be shown by mistake.  Thanks to the lockdown, I'm not needing activity zones as much as I did a while back.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Apprentice

One more issue with this system...when it will it stop?

I got ONLY People, Vehicles and Animals on my Smart Alerts checked...yet I keep getting Motion Detected alerts over and over. Worst is that I have a Zone defined to prevent cars or people walking near by to trigger the alarm but the Motion (which should NOT be alerting me at all), keeps coming up.
Please fix this!

Highlighted
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @shaolin95

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Highlighted
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did and he was no help. The usual nonsense of take the battery out. So disappointed with my choice of this product

Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

100% the same issue with me, and I do have a case file active. [Although it seems to be actively ignored right now, no one will contact me back even after promising to do so!!!!] I was told that this is a known issue and it is being looked at.

Two cameras on AC are working fine. Three on battery power are constantly sending me unwanted alerts due to motion WELL OUTSIDE of what should be my set up activity zones. The paid subscription for Arlo Smart Premier is suppose to provide me with this feature for my battery powered cameras. I was told I could cancel for now until the problem is fixed, but I have a grandfathered plan which I know I will not get back if I do this. Maybe this is their way of pushing me into a more expensive plan??? A "smart" plan after all.

Blowing branches on the AC unit are ignored, but the battery powered ones are set off all the time. This is really unacceptable to me. People WAY OUTSIDE of the zones on my porch and house side door camera are setting the unit off all the time. Very irritating.

I too see the yellow exclamation mark on those three units when I view the portal on my laptop. It does not show up on my iPhone when viewed there. 

The whole thing is becoming a mess, with very little support from Arlo.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am have the grandfather subscription as well. You may be right about Arlo trying to force us to change plans.

Highlighted
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Just to clarify, you are receiving recordings outside of your activity zones with your Pro 2 cameras?

Highlighted
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue with motion being recorded outside of activity zones. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Up until about 2 days ago my activity zones were working fine.

I have a paid subscription.

When I login to app - everything appears fine.

When I login to the website - it says that my camera isn't on AC power, so activity zones are disabled.

I think they must have updated something incorrectly for this to happen.

I don't think the activity zone is working because a package was delivered last night in the zone and the camera was not triggered.

I hope they correct this - I know it is possible to work since it worked fine for over a year. I may need to reconsider cancelling subscription if this continues. Disappointing.

Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

Add me to this list. I have the very same issue. It was suggested to me to cancel my subscription temporarily until this "known issue" is corrected. But I have a grandfathered plan which I am sure they will not honor when it comes time to subscribe once again. 

I am very disappointed with it all. 

Highlighted
Apprentice
Apprentice

what type of paid subscription do you have? I have the grandfather plan which is 9.99 per month and up to 10 cameras (includes custom activity zones). I see they have changed that and I'm wondering if these problems are only occurring with those who have the old plan.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Arlo Smart Premier subscription.

Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

Smart Premier also

Highlighted
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is that the plan that gives you up to 10 cameras or 5 cameras?

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I went ahead and changed to the new plan named Arlo Smart Premier Multi Camera that is the same price $9.99 and has the features I use. It now seems to work fine.  They gave me a credit for the days I paid for on prior plan. I am OK with it since same price.

Discussion stats
  • 34 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 12 In Conversation