Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
MTPgh
Guide
Guide

Two weeks ago, I had a day-long internet outage that caused the Arlo base station to go down.  After the internet came back up, we had no problems getting the base station and 3 of our 4 cameras back online.

As I read through messages in this discussion board on how to get the 4th camera working, one suggestion was to remove all cameras, reset the base station, and then add back in the camera devices. 

Unfortunately, now NONE of the cameras can be synced with the base station!

We've worked through every article I can find on the subject.

- We've tried going to my.arlo.com instead of using our iPhones.  That didn't work.

- We made sure fully charged batteries were in the cameras.  And we removed the battery for 10 seconds before trying the sync process.

- We've tried every camera individually in case there was a "one camera" problem.

- We removed the base station from my Arlo account, then reset the base station, and added it back in with no problem.

- We tried plugging the camera into the computer using the USB cord but that didn't do anything.

We are getting the blinking blue light on the camera and the blinking green light on the base station during the attempted sync.  Unfortunately, after about two minutes, the camera starts blinking amber, alerting me that the sync did not work.

What else can I try? 

This is very frustrating because at least 3 of the cameras were working before we removed all of them from our account to completely reboot everything.  Now none of them work.

Any suggestions?

20 REPLIES 20
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you try this procedure with one of your cameras?  https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-my-Arlo-wire-free-camera

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately, the Pro 2 and older cameras can't be reset other than to reinsert the batteries.

When trying to sync to the base, you don't need the appp for these cameras. Just briefly press the base sync button - don't hold it - and then a camera button. Did that work?

MTPgh
Guide
Guide

StephenB:

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I followed the article's instructions for factory reset.

The Arlo article says to hold the sync button for 15 seconds UNTIL the blue light starts flashing. 

While holding the sync button in, the blue lights never flashed.  I did 15 seconds, 30 seconds, and 45 seconds.  The blue light only started flashing when I released the sync button.

Also, I never got the amber light "3 blinks" at the end.  Instead, at the end of the blue light flashing, I got rapid amber light blinks.

I did start with a fully charged battery.  And I removed the battery in between trials.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work.

MTPgh
Guide
Guide

jguerdat:

Thanks for responding.

I did take out and reinsert the batteries for many of my attempts.  I always counted to 10 before reinserting the battery.

I had tried what you suggested but I tried again without using the app.  I briefly pressed the base station sync button (didn't hold it in) and then I briefly pressed the camera button.  The base station's sync light blinked green, and the camera's light blinked blue for about two minutes.  They were clearly trying to find each other.  But then, the camera's amber light flickered on, alerting me that the sync did not work.

Separately, I don't understand your comment that I don't need to use the app.  I have 4 cameras and I need to name them in the system.  The only way I know how to do that is to use the "Add a Device" feature in the app.  When I did that with the Base Station, it allowed me to name it.  That's what it should do with the cameras, too, if I could ever get the base station to sync with the cameras.

Any other suggestions?  Remember, three of the cameras worked just fine until I removed them from my Arlo account (following a suggestion in another post to remove all cameras and resync them).  Now, I can't get any of them added back in.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MTPgh wrote:

Separately, I don't understand your comment that I don't need to use the app. 

A PC browser can also be used (my.arlo.com).  

There is also a method here that can be used w/o the app or the browser: https://kb.arlo.com/1146973/How-do-I-set-up-and-sync-my-Arlo-Pro-or-Pro-2-Wire-Free-cameras

After they are synced, you would be able to rename them, etc from either the app or my.arlo.com.

MTPgh
Guide
Guide

StephenB:

Yes, okay, you are right that I can also use the my.arlo.com website.  And I did do that in a few rounds of trials.  No joy.

And I've seen and followed the procedure in the the link to the article you provided.  (I had followed all the troubleshooting article links last week.)  But I tried it again this morning.  Still no joy.

It's hard to understand what the problem is.  The base station is online and identified in my account.  Three cameras worked until I removed them from my account to completely start over to get the fourth camera to work.  Now none of them work.

What else can I try?  What could be interfering? 

I moved the base station to a different room (hooked up to a different LAN connection) in case there was something in my den interfering.  Still could not sync.

I've tried moving the cameras right next to the base station, one foot from the base station, 18 inches from the base station...yes, I've run lots of trials!  Still could not sync.

I'm looking for an unusual problem/solution, I think.

Thanks .

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, the Pro 2 and older cameras never used the app prior to the newer apps that supported the Ultra and newer which required use of the app. The old strategy was simply to briefly press the base sync button and then the camera button. The app wasn't used. You name them in the camera settings, clicking on the pencil at the top right of where the camera's default name is displayed.

I think the base is the issue. Try resetting it again by removing it from Settings, My Devices and then also holding the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Claim it again and then try the camera syncing.

MTPgh
Guide
Guide

jguerdat:

I appreciate your ongoing suggestions.

I removed the base station from Settings, My Devices.

Then, I followed this procedure:

To perform a factory reset on your Arlo Base Station or SmartHub: 

1. Use a pen or straightened paperclip to press and hold the Reset button on the back of the Base Station or SmartHub for about 10 seconds. 
  2. Release the Reset button. 
    After the reset is complete, the LED on the front of the Base Station flashes amber. When the LED stops flashing amber, your Base Station reboots.

I did get the flashing amber lights.  I waited until the the power and internet lights went green before adding the base station back into my account.  (Note that the Camera LED light stayed a solid amber until I added the base station back into my account.  The Start Up Manual doesn't say what a "solid amber" for the camera LED means, but I assume it means it didn't have any cameras set up.)

I had no problems adding the base station back into my account.  The camera LED then went out.

I followed the directions to "Add a Device/Camera/Pro 2".  The hub camera light blinked green.  The camera's light blinked blue.  After 90 seconds to two minutes, the camera light flickered amber and then went out, indicating that the sync was NOT successful.

Still no joy.....

I guess I need to start researching new camera security systems.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You might want to buy a single camera subscription so you can access support directly. That could result in replacement cameras. WHen done with support, unsubscribe.

MTPgh
Guide
Guide

jguerdat:

Thanks for the tip!

Just curious, though, what you think Arlo Support could do about this problem?  My cameras are 3 years old.  Why would they replace them at this point?

I feel like such a bonehead...I had three working cameras and in an attempt to get the fourth one working, I followed advice from this board to remove all cameras from my account and start over with the syncing.  Now none of the cameras are recognized.  If anyone else is following this thread, don't do that! 

Thanks to all that responded with ideas and suggestions.  I appreciate it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There would be no replacement other than you buying new devices. However, they have access to server logs, etc. that may help track down the issue. 

kim74
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same issue.  Luckily I only removed one camera.  Did you get your issue resolved?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kim74,

Make sure the battery is fully charged and attempt the sync again. What LED behaviors do you see?

JamesC

kim74
Tutor
Tutor

It came unsynced with my base, so stupidly I removed it from the account thinking I would just add it back. @JamesC  I'm trying to sync an arlo pro2 camera to a vmb4000  base.  The light flashes blue like it is trying to sync.  Its not the camera.  i was able to pair it to a friends vmb3500 and then removed it and that worked fine.  My other existing cameras work fine.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would just briefly press, don't hold, the base sync button and then the camera button. You don't need to use the app for these cameras.

kim74
Tutor
Tutor

Tried it without the app, with the app, and online, Nothing works.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Hate to say it but the liokely solution is to remove all devices from Settings, My Devices and start fresh.

TechSav
Aspirant
Aspirant

Only thing I can think of (after several fails like yours, and w zero resolution from paid support) is Arlo went EOL on the 4000.

Guessing they did so based on the fact it provided 7 free days of cloud storage; vs the paid subscriptions required for most all other base stations. 
They can capitalize missed revenue stream from cloud storage

This post has almost 800 views,, many others w the same problem.  
I’d like to be wrong on this, Arlo.

TechSav
Aspirant
Aspirant

The issue w the base station (hardware) coincidentally w so many different users / locations / IP’s etc signifies a firmware or OTA (software) issue.  What happened from Arlo?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TechSav wrote:

Only thing I can think of (after several fails like yours, and w zero resolution from paid support) is Arlo went EOL on the 4000.

No.  And FWIW, the 7 day cloud storage is for older cameras (pro, pro 2, etc), and not the base.  If you connect a Pro 3, Pro 4, or Ultra camera to your VMB4000 you would find that there is no 7-day cloud storage for that camera.

@TechSav wrote:

The issue w the base station (hardware) coincidentally w so many different users / locations / IP’s etc signifies a firmware or OTA (software) issue.  What happened from Arlo?

A flood of different issues for multiple camera models and base stations - affecting people with and without paid subscriptions.

Arlo hasn't said, but I am thinking that they might have needed to rush some changes in order to deal with Android 13 and iOS 16 (and that might have backfired).  Whatever the cause, there is still stuff that isn't working right.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation