Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just did a direct swap from Pro to Pro 2, setup position identical BUT night time a disaster can barely see anything.

Turned brightness up and down - no effect.

Then on front camera turned off night vision - awesome miles better than Pro 1.

Then rear camera, tried turning off night vision disaster all black.

Is there something different in night mode Pro 1 vs Pro 2.
110 REPLIES 110
archon810
Apprentice
Apprentice

Had the same thing happen to me. Here's the image I captured:

Screenshot_20171020-004624.png

I'm working with Arlo PR directly, so they're already aware of my issue, and now I'll bring this thread to their attention.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Cflocation wrote:

Yea I am taking mine down and putting the PROs back up this weekend. NOt sure how these got through QA but it is a wide spread problem. Does anyone have a clear night shot?

Just wondering how much product testing was performed before official release, how can so many things be wrong with any product and still get released?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I am working with the engineering team to collect information on this issue. They have requested we try a couple different things to see if you experience any different behavior:

-Try another pro 2 camera in the same location.
-Try the pro 2 camera in a different location without any adjacent walls/ceiling near the camera.

-If you have a skin on the camera, try with and without the skin.

Please let us know the results and if possible provide screenshots.

Thank you,

JamesC

Insanez103
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did all you suggestions before returning the cameras. I also pulled the battery for 10 minutes to try and reset the camera. Nothing worked, I think this is a hardware issue at this point. Hopefully it is figured out so I can upgrade again.
MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

I dont think any of the requested things to "TRY" are going to do anything, as Im pretty sure those were all the 1st things those with the problems have already done. I purchased a Arlo Pro 2( 2 pack ) and within 1 day my driveway camera went offline and drained close to 40% of the battery. A battery pull got it back up and working and within another 24 hrs that same camera was offline. I returned the 2 pack and purchased another Arlo Pro 2 pack, and lo and behold the driveway camera within a day was offline (a completely different camera, base, etc). So 2 strikes, putting a differnet camera there did nothing. Now the 2nd request seems pretty hard to not have a wall near the camera when the camera is to be mounted on a wall majority of the time, we cant simply remove a wall for a defect in the camera. I placed these new Arlo Pro 2's in the same exact place, mount position, etc where my Arlo Pro 1 cameras were for several months with NO problems, and expect for them to work at least similar or as good at least! The ONLY improvement seen is daytime camera quality which does me no good if i have to change a battery every 5 days climing a ladder and having 5 minute long videos that I have to pan through constantly for 11 seconds of motion. And I do not use any skins on any of the 5 cameras that I currently have or have had. I really hope the engineer team has some better leads on fixes to these problems other than these questions asked, cuz all of those involved something the CONSUMER needs to do and not something Netgear needs to change within its hardware or software. I have already posted blurry grainy night time screenshots, I dont think those will provide any help to you, and a screenshot of an "offline" camera I do not think will help you either, cuz it surely isnt helping me.....

donedeal305
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can't really tell any difference in night vision mode... only slight difference in in 1080 vs 720 resolution as well.... NOT worth upgrading IMHO
donedeal305
Aspirant
Aspirant
arlo pro 2
MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

James... am glad to hear the team is looking into this poor night-time quality issue. I purchased the Pro 2 several days ago, and am experiencing the same extreme poor quality night vision as expressed by others in this thread. The Pro night images are incredibly much clearer than the Pro 2. Something is clearly different in the construct of the product. I have tried the 3 suggestions, and unfortunately didn't make any difference.

Hopefully there will be a fix for this soon, as the current night time issue renders the product in effect, without night vision.

Thanks,

MelSF

Arlo Pro-2.JPG

Forscotland
Guide
Guide

Here'e two of my camera's nightvision shots.  Unacceptable.  I need to return all six cameras in three days if there isn't a fix.  I'm just really suprised that Netgear pushed out this product without vetting it.  Pro2backyard.jpgPro2Fieldview.jpg

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For the best experience with the Night Vision feature make sure that no walls, tables, or other objects are too close to your camera. If any objects is within 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) of the sides or front of your camera, it can reflect IR back into the camera lens and cause glare or hazy video, especially at night. Be sure to reference the following article for best positioning tips: How do I position my Arlo Pro 2 camera?

The engineering team is still actively investigating other night vision issues being reported. We will provide updates on these as soon as more information is available.

JamesC

MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jame - thank you for your prompt response... very appreciated!

However.... the problem is your product! Product being the camera "Skins"!! I have discovered that the IR reflects off the Hood of the Skin, and creates a "degraded" night - time image. I removed the Skin, and the hazy foggy image sharpened up to an acceptable level.

The Skin used, is a "Netgear" product. Also, i have found other users experiencing the same problem and the same fix. I respectfully suggest Netgear producing a skin without a hood to correct this issue. On the other hand... not having a hood can be detrimental as it provides a degree of protection for the lense.

Thanks,

Mel

archon810
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm on the latest current firmware and don't use any skins or hoods, and this happened again to one of the Pro2s after the last rain:

cFiFpcx

I'm hoping they can sort this out in software, but it could be a hardware issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Could be but post the same scene in daylight so we can see what the scene should look like.

archon810
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here's what it usually looks like at night and during the day.

q626y0m

k8KnTYs

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We need to let the mods approve the images before we can see them. Might be tomorrow.

Rschoeny
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is anyone having success with the Pro 2 at night? I've read nothing but bad things - want these to work, but need validation before investing.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I bought one Arlo Pro 2 camera to go with my Arlo Pro system. The night vision is terrible this is when most of the action happens for me. I will keep it until my return period Is about to expire and then I will return the camera if there is no fix.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

archon810 wrote:

Here's what it usually looks like at night and during the day.

q626y0m

Is this with AP2? Because that looks pretty good!

archon810
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yeah, but note there is quite a bit of light in that area, so it's not just night vision.
MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

.......... I was going to say! That is a great night time image, probably due to good "ambient" light! Take away the ambient light, and it will probably be somewhat grainy and pixelated!! From what I have been reading from other customers, seems there is a compression issue??

MelSF

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I don't have grainy video at night or pixelated just very dark compared to the original Arlo Pro
MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

So... I have Arlo Pro 2. Posted earlier about poor grainy washed out night vision. Discover the hood on the skin interfedred with the IR. I cut the hoods off from the skins, and although there is an improvement in teh quality of the image, it is still far from what it should be. Its not so much washed out now, but it is very grainy. Someone mentioned there is an issue with Netgear's compression of the file???

MelSF

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
With my Arlo Pro 2 the night vision is actually quite Sharp. It's just much darker then the arlopro one. I hope they can fix it with a firmware update
NETthisGEAR
Apprentice
Apprentice

One thing you can do is get an IR LED lamp or 2. They are around $12 and can make things look a lot better.

Keep in mind that you don't want any concrete ETC, close to the camera that can mess with the IR.

Apprentice
Apprentice

that is a **bleep**ty IR light. effect will be like a flashlight imo. plus its ugly to mount.