Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just did a direct swap from Pro to Pro 2, setup position identical BUT night time a disaster can barely see anything.

Turned brightness up and down - no effect.

Then on front camera turned off night vision - awesome miles better than Pro 1.

Then rear camera, tried turning off night vision disaster all black.

Is there something different in night mode Pro 1 vs Pro 2.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Pro 2 ups the game by introducing 1080p resolution, a wider field of view compared to previous generation cameras, along with a host of new features that include versatile power options, 2-way audio, and advanced motion detection with activity zones.  All of the above is done while maintaining the things our users love and have become synonymous with Arlo:  Simple wire-free setup, Weather-resistant ruggedness, Optional 24/7 continuous video monitoring, local backup storage, and up to 7 days of free cloud storage.  Not to mention, Pro2 is backwards compatible with all previous generation accessories and base stations. 

The same applies at night time, where in each frame, a user can literally see more in every shot.  By upgrading our image technology, we also upgraded our motion and night vision capabilities.

Some users have requested that we increase the overall “brightness” of our cameras.  While seeing brighter, albeit subjective, is a valid request - simply making images brighter may not always apply to the scene that is being recorded.  Every user’s setup is different, as well as the type of scene and image being captured.  One fix for all situations can often result in tradeoffs in other aspects of the image quality.  As an example, simply going brighter can result in oversaturated images dependent on the user’s scene.

What we did focus on addressing however, was overall image quality during high motion.  Especially in security driven use cases where the action being captured could be a vandal at your front door trying to run away, we wanted to enhance the overall quality in those situations.  Over the weekend, we released a FW update that reduces the amount of compression when fast motion is detected.  This results in better quality videos, with minimal change in overall file size being allocated to capture that motion event. 

Arlo aims to up the game in image quality with each new generation of product, and we know our users will enjoy literally seeing more in every shot, seeing more details, as well as crisper video even in fast motion scenes. 

-Arlo Development Team

View solution in original post

110 REPLIES 110
djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did the same swap like you did and have to agree the Arlo Pro appears to have better nightvision picture quality over the Arlo Pro 2... Hopefully this isn't hardware limited and Netgear will address in a firmware upgrade...

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ah good to know not alone: )

I think maybe the field of view seems wider lens seems to pick up maybe too much from nearby light even small lamps and night vision goes into over drive.

Suspect this as when I fitted my Arlo covers the view at the extremes catches to covers.
djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agree. Maybe with the increased resolution, the IRs are not powerful enough... Hopefully not, because that means the Arlo Pro 2 will be a flop and us needing to buy the next version...

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Probably it's like beta testing, maybe by Pro 10 it will be resolved.

Do Netgear ever join these conversations or no monitor, or just let use folk go stare crazy thinking up solutions.
djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Arlo Pro was pretty darn solid. I'm only a few days into the Arlo Pro 2 and have one of the cameras going offline for no reason... Is located in the exact same spot I had my Pro sitting for months with no issues... Weird. Will troubleshoot that tonight.

Anyways, it would be wise for Netgear to be browsing this community... That is a key to their survival and being #1 in this stuff. Real world feedback is invaluable.

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
I doubt they do unless someone reports a post. Samsung and some other biggies are clueless and have no idea or zero interest in us plebs taking. It's like a we have a forum box ticked.
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Also wondering do you and where you running off batteries or mains power.

I was batteries and Pro 2 on batteries, not got around to drilling 25mm holes to get the darn Arlo connector through my house wall.

Thinking is it a power issue when in batteries ?
djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good question - I'm running mine off the batteries.

I've noticed on a few of my cameras that the nightvision lags during a recording operation. The video is black for a second or two before slowly fading up into the nightvision view.

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

So I just created a topic addressing Netgear about the poor nightvision and app issues and they deleted it off from this forum... Gone! What the heck... I'm a customer of 12 Arlo Pro 2 cameras and would appreciate some more support than that...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

djdannis,

What was the subject title of the post you're missing? I've reviewed your post history and I don't see any that were removed or filtered. Edit: I found and have released the post you're referring to, this was likely flagged automatically as spam as it's very similar to a post you already made on the same topic.

Regarding this topic, can you post some screenshots of the Night Vision issue being described?

JamesC

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you James, I'll respond on the original thread. Appreciate your help...

Insanez103
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue. I am taking the cameras back before my 15 days is up at Best Buy.
Insanez103
Aspirant
Aspirant
Here is a photo of the Arlo Pro 30 feet away
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated the feedback on this topic to the product management team. The engineering team is currently investigating the concerns being discussed here and I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Cflocation
Star
Star

Same issue here my night mode on ALL my cameras are useless. I just swapped out my Pros with the Pro 2 so I know it is nothing but the cameras itself.

Going back to BestBuy

Insanez103
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is exactly how mine are unless I turn on every light in my back yard. I am sad about how bad these are. Waste of time and money. I can't keep them, I cannot trust a software update to fix them as it may be months away.
Cflocation
Star
Star

Yea I am taking mine down and putting the PROs back up this weekend. NOt sure how these got through QA but it is a wide spread problem. Does anyone have a clear night shot?

armsil1234
Apprentice
Apprentice
Obsydian, pretty sure your post will be deleted with what you just mentioned... lol... I hope not, but we will see...
Ianwelch001
Guide
Guide
Thinks the best I have saved on my 5 day old pro 2
Insanez103
Aspirant
Aspirant
That's sad that it is the best picture
Cflocation
Star
Star

That picture is great compared to mine, and that is truly sad

Ianwelch001
Guide
Guide
That was also during a raijn storm with brightness all the way up. This was the front durijng the same time and the cameras are under the eve
Ianwelch001
Guide
Guide
And the daytime
swpyatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm seeing the same issue with the night vision. I also have a weird black ring around the whole image.