Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 2 CVR Internet Requirements

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bob90
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo Pro 2 that I would like to use with a CVR plan. I am looking into installing it in a relatively remote location. Giving the camera AC power will not be an issue, but I am concerned about the internet requirements and data usage.

It looks like at minimum i will need a 1 Mbps upload connection, I think I should be able to get this without a problem. How much data should I expect to use with CVR in a month? I think this will affect the internet service that I will select. Should I be concerned about a slow ping?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

CVR could kill any data plan. It will consist of the same data stream a recording would use only 24/7 instead of seconds per recording. An unlimited plan may be adequate even with any throttling the provider may impose since the stream for one camera probably averages about 1Mbps on the best quality setting.  You could assume 10-15 megaBYTES per minute and calculate from there.

Cable Internet generally is fine but if you're using a mobile hotspot connection, that's where you could run into problems.

bob90
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!

I was looking to shy away from a cellular plan but I was toying with the idea of satellite service. At 10-15 MB a minute it looks like I am looking at approx. 420 GB to 630GB per camera per 30 day month. 

Altough correct if I'm wrong, should I assume at 1Mbps, that I should be looking at 7.5 MB/ min? (0.125MB/s* 60s/min = 7.5 min) Regardless, it will kill any data plan.

What would you suppose is my data use at the lowest quality setting? Perhaps half of the highest quality?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I was over-estimating but you're right. There's an FAQ here with details as to the data usage per device. Reducing the resolution will save bandwidth and overall usage. Whether that suits your need depends on your needs.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation