Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Power and Internet supply - a weak spot?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
GeorgSi
Follower
Follower
I am installing a brand new Arlo Pro 2 system to my house in Stockholm, Sweden. My plan is to place the cameras outdoor, to track any movements in our backyard where burglars can break in to the house without being noticed from the street.

My question: What happens if burglars would choose to disconnect the main power to the house - or cut the fibre Internet cable? Both can be found on the facade of the house.

Is it a weak spot in the Arlo system that the base station needs power and Internet connection to function properly? Can the base station be fitted with a battery, or can cameras be IFTTT programmed to sound the alarm if base station power is disconnected?

Also, I would like to connect magnet sensors to the front entrance door - is there any such add-on device?

Thank you for a (still) very impressive system!!

Best regards,
Georg
1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In the case of the Pro or Pro2, you can use a UPS for short time power supply.

I run one for my base, router and modem and it runs at least 6 hours ( the longest I've run it )

The above along with the USB backup ( speed stick in the base unit ), if the Internet is cut and you still have power, it will record there

Any alarm system has it's weaknesses , if you know where to look....

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation