Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

[Potential Solution] Local storage settings "Record Locally" was greyed out

Discussion stats
  • 0 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation
VTXBusa
Follower
Follower

Firmware 1.16.5.0_3774_89fcc16

Hardware VMB4000r3

My local storage was working until it stopped working two months ago. I noticed the "Record Locally" was greyed out. I tried a soft and hard reboot of the device to no avail. I also tried reconnecting the USB with the base station on and off didn't fix the problem.

I connected the USB drive to my local computer and was able to play all of the captured videos. I did filesystem check, fsck on Mac OS X and found there were issues with too many clusters on the disk. After getting it fixed using disk utility, the drive was recognized by the base station again. Unfortunately, the local storage stopped working a few days after. I repeated the above steps without success until I reformated the drive using my Mac with MS-DOS FAT that the drive was recognized again by the base station.

Note that you will be prompted to format the local storage as for some reason the MS-DOS FAT I formatted the disk with my Mac was not compatible with the base station. It has been working since.

I assumed there was an upgrade between Dec 2020 to Jan 2021 that caused the local storage disk to be corrupted. This was the same problem that I had with my second base station. Here are the steps I would do if you are having the same problem with your local storage being greyed out which was previously working:

1. Disconnect the disk from the base station

2. Connect it to a computer and back up the captured videos as needed

3. Use disk utility to format the disk using MS-DOS FAT or ExFAT. This selection does not matter as you will need to reformat it again.

4. Reconnect the disk to the base station

5. Go to Settings -> {select your base station} -> Device Settings -> Storage Settings

6. Select the Format USB Device as it is the only setting before you can use the local storage.

0 REPLIES 0
Discussion stats
  • 0 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation