Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pixel based or PIR that is the question

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
People are saying that a Pro 2 is PIR based when plugged in and using a Zone I have to disagree ,when using a Zone. When a shadow of a person or a car hits my zone Arlo pro2 is triggered when it rains Arlo is triggered when it snows Arlo is triggered when my neighbor's car backs in his driveway from across the street his headlights cross into my zone again Arlo is triggered that would be pixel-based. A shadow does not contain any heat neither does the snow or the rain. Correct me if I'm wrong but with pro pro 2 when using a Zone it must be pixel-based. I have another Pro 2 in the backyard not plugged in not using a zone. and it does not false trigger from snow or rain but picks up my dog squirrels and cats that must be PIR. Please feel free to educate me on this topic. Using a Zone it's becoming very annoying with all these false triggers I keep getting
9 REPLIES 9
Streak2
Master Master
Master

The PIR detection is based on heat and the pixel (plugged in Arlo Pro 2) is based on any movement in that zone.

To prevent false triggers, reduce the sensitivity and make use of zones so that you exclude areas that you aren't interested in.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Zone is in my driveway ,I can only make it smaller and I have done that. it doesn't stop the Shadows from the cars or the headlights from my neighbor's car or the rain or the snow from triggering my camera I can turn down the sensitivity of course but then when a car pulls in the driveway the camera won't trigger because the sensitivity is now too low. So basically there Zone Base system it's not working very well
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

If you want to reduce false alarms, then use PIR. Delete all your zones.  Aim the camera so people and cars in the driveway trigger the camera.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I know but I like seeing the whole neighborhood I just wanted to have zone in my driveway and still be able to see everything else but it's not working out that way
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Johnny290 wrote:
I know but I like seeing the whole neighborhood I just wanted to have zone in my driveway and still be able to see everything else but it's not working out that way

OK.  In that case, you could buy another camera for the wide view, and do not set that camera to trigger on motion. Not a cheap solution, but a solution.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Yeah I was thinking about that too
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
On the other hand let's remember how they advertise this Arlo Pro 2 with this Zone detection which up to now seems to be useless outside if it's raining snowing a shadow goes into my zone so it's pretty useless
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Johnny290 wrote:
.......Arlo Pro 2 with this Zone detection which up to now seems to be useless outside if it's raining snowing a shadow goes into my zone so it's pretty useless

Just my thoughts all along, pixel based motion detection works well in controlled environments (typically indoors) away from weather and other “zone” interfering factors. If you’re lucky, locating camera in a perfect spot, like a quiet backyard, you may get away without as many false triggers as locating it on a driveway.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I thing you are right
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation