Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Oldlag
Guide
Guide

Arlo App for PC on Windows  10 for both my Desktop and Laptop has stopped working. When I select a camera to view I get the message: "A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required. Please install the latest version from here"

Having done that and restarted my browser, I get the same message? Checking my control panel I have the latest version of Flash Player for W10 (version 32.0.0.293. Something has happened since the Phone App was changed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Oldlag wrote:

Arlo App for PC on Windows  10 for both my Desktop and Laptop has stopped working. When I select a camera to view I get the message: "A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required. Please install the latest version from here"

There is no app for the PC, you are just accessing the web client from your browser.  Note you should be browsing to https://my.arlo.com, not the older https://arlo.netgear.com. 

As Flash gets closer to being removed from the browsers (which happens at the end of 2020), the browsers are beginning to block it by default.  Arlo will shift to a different technology called html5 before Flash is removed, but until they make that change you need to work around the issue by unblocking flash for the site.

The way to work around this depends on what browser you are using.

If you are using Chrome, you click on the padlock next to my.arlo.com in the address bar.  You'll see an option to allow flash there.  After you do that, you'll click on the reload button it will show you, and then log in a second time.  Once you do that, flash will be enabled for my.arlo.com until you restart the browser.   FWIW, Chrome is using it's own built-in flash player, so you don't need the adobe plugin at all if you are using it.

With Firefox, you wait until you see the flash update message.  When you do, don't click on the "here" in the message.  You will see an icon that looks like a lego brick immediately to the left of the padlock.  Click on that instead, and you will be able to enable flash for the site.  Firefox does use the adobe plugin (it has no built-in flash support).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Oldlag wrote:

There is no app for the PC, you are just accessing the web client from your browser.  Note you should be browsing to https://my.arlo.com, not the older https://arlo.netgear.com. 

As Flash gets closer to being removed from the browsers (which happens at the end of 2020), the browsers are beginning to block it by default.  Arlo will shift to a different technology called html5 before Flash is removed, but until they make that change you need to work around the issue by unblocking flash for the site.

The way to work around this depends on what browser you are using.

If you are using Chrome, you click on the padlock next to my.arlo.com in the address bar.  You'll see an option to allow flash there.  After you do that, you'll click on the reload button it will show you, and then log in a second time.  Once you do that, flash will be enabled for my.arlo.com until you restart the browser.   FWIW, Chrome is using it's own built-in flash player, so you don't need the adobe plugin at all if you are using it.

With Firefox, you wait until you see the flash update message.  When you do, don't click on the "here" in the message.  You will see an icon that looks like a lego brick immediately to the left of the padlock.  Click on that instead, and you will be able to enable flash for the site.  Firefox does use the adobe plugin (it has no built-in flash support).

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

In addition, check the various pieces in the Arlo KnowledgeBase library, such as:

How to troubleshoot Arlo web client Flash errors when using Google Chrome

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Oldlag
Guide
Guide

Thanks for this information. I am using Firefox, although on my version the "lego brick" is to the right of the padlock. However, I followed your instructions and enabled Flash and could view the cameras live. Rather annoying that you have to do this every time you run the browser though.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Oldlag wrote:

Thanks for this information. I am using Firefox, although on my version the "lego brick" is to the right of the padlock. However, I followed your instructions and enabled Flash and could view the cameras live. Rather annoying that you have to do this every time you run the browser though.

For the benefit of anyone else who finds this discussion, here is where to look in Firefox:

Flashicon.jpg

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Oldlag wrote:

Rather annoying that you have to do this every time you run the browser though.

Totally agree.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Of course, this is one reason to not close the browser/turn off the computer. I use sleep mode with the browser open which prevents me from having to re-enable Flash on a regular basis.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation