Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Not receiving push notification on Android. Tried power cycling Base Station (had power failure)

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
PeterNelson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a pair of Arlo Pro 2's that I use to monitor critter (deer, woodchucks, etc) incursions into my vegetable garden.   I run the app on my Android Samsung 9+

Every morning when I review my library it dutifly records all the critters that munched and trashed their way though my garden, triggering the recordings based on Motion.   Typically there will be between 3 and 6 recordings each morning.

But I NEVER receive any notifications on my phone when they're actually happening.    Notifications are enabled for the app in Android settings, and push notifications is checked in the Arlo app settings.

I have power-cycled the base station (because we had a power-failure here).   I'm reluctatnt to re-install the app because I don't want to have to re-input all my settings, and anyway I'm a sw engineer and in my field reinstalling the app is considered a cop-out answer for techs who don't really know what the real problem is.

Thanks in advance for telling me altually what's causing this.

9 REPLIES 9
Dannybear
Master
Master

Just to clarify that you have the push notifications enabled in the running mode’s camera rules. If you have, then if you also enable email notifications, do these come through?

PeterNelson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't want email notifications; just Android notifications. But I will try enabling email just as a test.

Dannybear
Master
Master

As a test yes, the results just help to narrow it down.

PeterNelson
Aspirant
Aspirant

The motion detector on the camera worked great last night and recorded two videos of deer trying to get into my garden a video of a raccoon eating apples that had fallen nearby and an opossum possibly carrying a baby on its back running across the ground.

But NO notifications on my phone, and NO emails this morning in my inbox!!

What is up with this?!

Dannybear
Master
Master

So the issue is likely with the arlo server rather than the phone. Are you using smart notifications, if so get onto arlo support since your paying for the service.
If not subscribed then try removing everything and reload again from new.

PeterNelson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't know what smart notifications are and I'm not paying a monthly subscription so that's probably not it.

And I don't know what you mean / cant't parse "remove everything". The cameras themselves are working fine and they're detecting motion and recording just fine and it all goes in the library, and I can download it, etc.

the only thing that's not working is that I'm not getting notifications on my Android phone when the motion happens. I don't want to have to uninstall the app because I don't want to have to reconfigure everything and assign names to the cameras Etc. If I uninstall and reinstall the software on the phone is there any way to retain all of the settings to cut down on all that manual labor? Also what's the theory behind doing that - why would that work? (I write Android software for a living so I'm trying to figure out how they could write an app so badly that this would be necessary)

Dannybear
Master
Master

Have you previously had notifications working to the phone?

If you’re not getting emails either and you have them enabled in the camera rules then there could be something screwed up in the settings stored on the server or the server is not working correctly.

Rebuilding the system from scratch is the only way to ensure that the system’s hidden settings are correct.

There’s no method to backup or restore your settings, the expectation is that you write them down.

You’re not the first to comment on the way the software has been written.

PeterNelson
Aspirant
Aspirant

"There’s no method to backup or restore your settings, the expectation is that you write them down."
I called Arlo tech support and they confirm that the above is not true. Once your account is set up your settings are stored in the cloud. So all we had to do is uninstall the app and reinstall it. There was no need to do anything with any settings.

This PARTIALLY fixed the problem. I now get notifications of motion but they are usually silent. The odd thing is that about every third or fourth one does produce a notification sound! Arlo tech support says that lack of reliable sound on notifications is a known problem with Android and they are "working on it".

Dannybear
Master
Master
The App is just an user interface so no system settings are stored.

As the system settings are stored on the cloud, they cannot be backed up and restored by the user.

This means that the user relies on these settings to be incorruptible for reliability.

Without the ability to backup, it prevents the user from reloading the base station operational settings for schedules, modes, rules as well as device naming. These all have to be manually imputed each time you remove the cameras or base stations from the system account. Hence the need to write them down before you start the process.

It is good to know that reinstalling the app has improved things and that someone has acknowledged the issue, just have to wait for a fix.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation