Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No other Outdoor Power Adapter for the Pro 2?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
gwgue
Tutor
Tutor

I'm on the verge of buying an Arlo system with 4 cameras & a doorbell but it all came to a screeching halt when I realized that the cameras don'r come with power cords.  What's worse is that apparently the only cord available for these sleak, white Pro 2 cameras is a short (8 foot), black, & thick cord!  Is that true?  I saw a slim, 25 foot, white cord but it says that it's only for the Pro Ultras.

I can't believe that this is the only outside power cord that's available for the Pro 2.  I'm either going to have to buy a whole different system than Arlo or I'm going to have to buy some 3rd-party cords from Amazon because these stubby black cords aren't going to do what I need.

Thanks!

Glen G

8 REPLIES 8
litbro
Guide
Guide

The Arlo Pro 2s can run from a USB micro B power supply.  I'm pretty sure the cameras will run on a Qualcomm 3.0 USB power supply, but I don't want to run wires to my wirless camera.  I want to use a  USB battery powerbank to power the ArloPro2 camera remotely.  For example, a 26,800 mAh power bank has 11 times the amps of the 2440 mAH Arlo battery thus should run 11x as long.  But I can't get an answer from Arlo.

I'm $1,000 in and I can't get Arlo assistance in using their wireless camera remotely.  I've had this question up for more than a week.  Some other customers try to help but nobody from Arlo will help me.  So keep that in mind before buying.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@litbro wrote:

Some other customers try to help but nobody from Arlo will help me.  So keep that in mind before buying.

Arlo is not going to respond to messages that want to know about "breaking the rules".

If cameras are not designed for the power scheme you suggest, then there is a good chance that no one at Arlo actually knows the answer. Other customers, on the other hand, are more numerous and more likely to play around with their kit, just for the heck of it.

For example, your are right in this surmise:

@litbro wrote:

The Arlo Pro 2s can run from a USB micro B power supply.  I'm pretty sure the cameras will run on a Qualcomm 3.0 USB power supply...

I tried it so that I could use an alternative power adapter in my weatherproof outdoor mains socket. (Outdoor power bricks for Ultra cameras have not reached the UK yet.) That works just fine, but you do have to get an adapter with the required output. I killed a low power adapter that wasn't up to the task.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
gwgue
Tutor
Tutor

I'm not disagreeing with anything that either of you are saying but I'm trying to NOT break the rules here. I fully expected to buy official Arlo power cords for some of my cameras (as soon as I realized that the cameras didn't include them), even at the ridiculous price of $50 for a 25-foot cord, but that's not an option for me with my Pro2 cameras.

I question how many people want their outdoor cameras 8 feet or less away from an electrical outlet. You've got the entire outdoors outside of your house BUT if you want either Activity Zones or CVR then the camera CAN'T be farther than 8' away from an outlet. The same thing applies if you don't want to have to get on a ladder in all types of weather to replace a dead battery.

So, my choices are 1) to stop considering Arlo systems altogether or 2) to use "unofficial" 3rd-party power cords. There AREN'T any official cords to do what I want, and I can't understand that. And it looks like instead of making an official outdoors power cord, Arlo is putting all of their efforts into invalidating all of the 3rd party cords out there. I see comments out there saying that people are getting messages saying, "not an Arlo charger." and "not compatible" when they try to use these other cords.

So, I'm looking for Arlo to provide me with a "official" solution to my problem. I want distance (height) and I want to be able to use Activity zones. Why do I have to give up 1 of those things to get the other one when other companies can provide me with products to give me both? And for a lot cheaper cost than $2-3 a foot, for that matter.

Thanks,

Glen G

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@gwgue wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with anything that either of you are saying but I'm trying to NOT break the rules here. I fully expected to buy official Arlo power cords for some of my cameras (as soon as I realized that the cameras didn't include them), even at the ridiculous price of $50 for a 25-foot cord, but that's not an option for me with my Pro2 cameras.

I am with you completely. Arlo's support with accessories is pathetic. It is even worse outside the USA. Supplies of cables and adaptors is even worse here. Believe me, I have moaned directly to Arlo about that several times.

My comments were aimed at @litbro who was asking for something well off piste. A huge battery may or may not work. But I wouldn't expect Arlo to have tried that.

In your case, you are looking for stuff that Arlo should supply, but there are ways around it that won't break any rules. I have used various adapters (not all of them "official") to power cameras.

The point about the cables is that they all start with a USB plug. You can cobble together your own ways of running power for as long as you like. There are even third party suppliers who probably provide something better than my own use of alien adapters and cables.

I have put an official outdoor Arlo Pro 2 adapter in an outdoor mains enclosure to extend the power. Works just fine.

@gwgue wrote:

I see comments out there saying that people are getting messages saying, "not an Arlo charger." and "not compatible" when they try to use these other cords.

I don't know where you see those messages. I don't. I have used various adaptors and as long as they do the "fast charge" thing they work just fine.

If you aren't comfortable with a little bit of DIY electrics, then you might do well to see if any of the rival brands can do a better job.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
litbro
Guide
Guide

A USB powered camera is a brilliant way to do it, and that is one of the reasons that I chose Arlo cameras.  I chose it for the versatility, specifically the fact that they are wireless.  And that they are powered by USB.

I thought is was a brilliant sales gimmick for Arlo.  It's not only wireless, but powering it, the possibilities are endless.  They should sell a LOT of these cameras.

Easy remote power = more sales.

Make it difficult, and I will tell everyone "don't buy Arlo until we figger this out". 

Of course they could help us out a little (for increased sales and all).

But buyer beware.  You have to choose your remote power device carefully, and with zero assistance from Arlo.

michealkenward writes "I have used various adaptors and as long as they do the "fast charge" thing they work just fine."  This suggests USB adapters with Qualcomm 3.0.  What I want to know is, can I use a ~20,000 mAh battery bank to run an Arlo camera.

powerbank_20.jpg

These battery banks are perfect.

Easy to charge and easy to hide.

They are plug'n'play.

I just need confirmation from a customer who has one working, and I will buy that same type.

gwgue
Tutor
Tutor

The "not an Arlo charger." and "not compatible" quotes that I had came from ratings on these non-Arlo outdoors power cables on Amazon.  I looked for comments like this where the people had actual quotes of error messages like "not an Arlo charger" that were displayed on their phone apps or somewhere.  The others are most likely valid complaints that people have had where the cords stopped working or never worked but most of them don't have enough details to know whether the same things would happen to us or not.

I can do some DIY electrical stuff but I'm not the best at it.  It seems like those always come back to bite me at the worst possible times (such as sub-zero temperatures outside when the problems occur).  I'd prefer to buy someone else's sealed cords than make my own but I'll do it if I have to.  I might try a 3rd-party cord or 2 but I'll look for "fast charge" ones then hopefully they'll work for me.

Having said all of that, though, I still can't believe that Arlo doesn't sell cords like what I need, even at the ridiculous prices of $2-3 per foot.

Thanks for the advice & assistance!

Thanks,

Glen G

litbro
Guide
Guide

I finally tested one of these USB power banks, a QC 3.0 version and it works.

It will be such a relief to not have to get the ladder and climb up there.

I used a standard USB cable.

The moment I plugged into the camera, the battery icon changed from 44% to the "lightning bolt".

So anyway here's confirmation that a powerbank with QC 3.0 works.

litbro
Guide
Guide

OK I claimed "success" too soon.

In 10 hours, the Arlo Pro 2 drained 50% of a 20000 mah battery.

The Arlo Pro 2 appears to use a high power mode when plugged into USB.

A 20000mah battery is pretty large as far as powerbanks go, and the runtime will be about 20 hours?

Looks like the only way to remote-power this wireless camera, is with a wire

Arlo-Pro-2-USB-power-bankQC3.0_10hrsx.jpg.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation