Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No Internet Connection available at the proposed site. Storage Options? Purchased Seagate HD.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
davewane
Follower
Follower

Hello,

I have purchased an arlo pro2 to provide security monitoring for a property. There is no internet service availble to me, as all access to the internet is individually controlled by my tenants. 

I am not really interested in installing a new internet service just for the arlo pro2 as the cost of running it would be over $1,000 per year. 

Therefore I would like an on-site storage option of information received by the base station.

I have purchased a Seagate Hard Rrive, but am unsure how to set it up using the Ethernet cable. Is there a preferred brand or type?

Can I also use the USB to receive information from the base station? Again: what is the preferred brand, type or capacity?

Hope someone can help.

Best regards

Dave

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHat you need is beyond the Arlo design, which requires Internet access to not only set up the system but also to be able to control it afterwards. You could set it up at home along with local recording to the hard drive (a thumb drive is easier to manage) and then take it to your property but you would have no control over anything. You could pop the drive out for viewing on a computer but there would be no notifications or ability to view videos directly. While you may be able to somehow cobble something that would work for you, it would be clumsy at best.

A cell service hotspot would be the likely solution but again at additional cost.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation