Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just wondering if anyone has an answer to this issue.
Of my 5 cameras, one has always had a rather “cloudy” or “foggy” night image. Has anyone else seen this on there cameras and does anyone have a solution to it?
You can see it in the attached screen capture. The top image is the camera in question. The lower camera is how the other three also look

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yes, it worked.
I did two things. 1) I angled it away from the wall slightly, not to much. And 2) I moved the sides and top of the shelter I had built around it further away just a bit. One or both of these things solved the problem.
Now the next issue is why is this camera so much more “blocky” looking at night vs all the other cameras. (Image made up of square blocks which pulsate in intensity, or square pixalation if you will)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think it's due to 2 things:

1) The nearby wall is reflecting the IR for night vision, causing

2) the camera's autoexposure to try to adjust.

Have you changed the brightness setting for the camera? Maybe it's just set too high.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I have tried the autoexposure with no change.
I did build a little enclosure around the camera as it was fully exposed on a high fence post. (Birds were crapping on it!). But I was careful to not extend the enclosure farther forward from the face of the camera. I suppose it could still be that? Although if the sides/top of the enclosure are not projecting past the face I would think I would be safe.
I’ll remove it for one night to see what happens.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There is no autoexposure setting - it's done in the camera and can't be changed. You can change the brightness setting but that's not the same thing since it's fixed.

My suggestion was that the wall could be the issue but anything that reflects the night vision IR light, including your cover, could do this. I would rotate the camera to the left to minimize the view of the wall to see what happens.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yes. I was replying to the way you worded your first response. I am aware there is no user adjustable autoexposure. It was of course, the brightness setting.
I have not had the chance yet but on the weekend I will remove the housing around it to see what changes
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yes, it worked.
I did two things. 1) I angled it away from the wall slightly, not to much. And 2) I moved the sides and top of the shelter I had built around it further away just a bit. One or both of these things solved the problem.
Now the next issue is why is this camera so much more “blocky” looking at night vs all the other cameras. (Image made up of square blocks which pulsate in intensity, or square pixalation if you will)
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Pixelation ("blocky") is usually caused by poor signal strength/quality for the connection between the camera and base. Try moving the base away from the router - even a small change may make a difference.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Why would that effect only one out of 5 cameras.? If it’s a base to router relationship should that not effect all 5?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not if the issue is the straight line path between the camera and base. Another wireless device near the camera or any other blockage/interference in that path wouldn't affect other cameras. You can test the theory by swapping cameras around to see if the issue stays with the camera or the location.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I might try that switch. The odd thing is the camera in question is by far the closest one to the base, with the least amount of objects in the way. One outside wall of the house. It’s practically right outside of the room where the base is. The other cameras have multiple interior walls and other household items blocking the path.
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation