Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night Vision Pro2 Works in Some Places, Some Not

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
erinsemail
Follower
Follower

Night vision on my Pro2 cameras works well where pointed inside the garage, at the driveway, at the deck... but not at the yard. 

If I take any well-working camera from inside the garage, driveway, or deck and point them at the yard... they also DO NOT WORK well for night vision.  No matter what camera I use on the yard, the image is a foggy grey that seems to detect motion and record but the image is so foggy it serves no purpose.  The camera mount is about 8 feet in the air and pointed at grass and a tree.

Note:  All cameras work well via a dark closet test.

It's something to do with the yard... I think.

I've re-angled the camera(s) to be partially viewing the grass/tree and partially the deck, thinking that this might bring the deck into focus and the yard still foggy gray .  My idea was that maybe some type of reflective surface was needed.  This still did not work.  Both the yard and the deck remain foggy.  

I bought two very bright outside solar lights and planted them in said-yard.  The night vision image remains foggy gray with two bright light spots amongst the fog.

It's something about this area.  I don't think it's a camera issue.

What am I missing?  Ideas welcome.  I feel like it's something silly that I am missing in regard to required lighting (or maybe camera height) with night vision.

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Lighting on the camera ( Night vision ) works on the inverse square law.... basicly the light falls off quickly.

Your not going to see farther than about 20ft , which is also the aprox range for the PIR to detect people.

External lights do help as long as they are not aimed towards the camera ( washing out picture )

Here's a pic of a pro 2 IR lighting... center small stump is 25ft away ( racoon walking away )

vlcsnap-2019-06-16-13h11m44s347.png

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation