Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New IOS App login issue on OpenVPN

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
eric-cork
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since moving to new App on IOS, when connected to OpenVPN login fails on app. When i disconnect VPN it works fine. Worked perfect on old App. Does Arlo block UDP sessions?

IOS App version: 2.8 (909)

Base Station Firmware: 1.14.1.1_2913_78b189a

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@eric-cork wrote:
I am connecting to NordVPN service via OpenVPN app. Have been for a while and no issues on old Arlo app.

Just guessing here, but the problem might be related to DNS (which is provided by Nord when you are using their service).  I suspect the new app is using a new Arlo domain name when it authenticates, but the legacy app would still use the older Netgear one.

Nord customer service might be able to help.   Also, DNS changes can take a while to propagate through the full DNS infrastructure, so it might resolve on it's own.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@eric-cork wrote:

Since moving to new App on IOS, when connected to OpenVPN login fails on app. When i disconnect VPN it works fine. Worked perfect on old App. Does Arlo block UDP sessions?

Is the Arlo login failing when the VPN is connected?  Or is the VPN failing to connect when Arlo is open?

If the Arlo login is failing, then it has nothing to do with Arlo blocking UDP.  OpenVPN will use UDP as a tunnel, but the application services continue to use TCP through the tunnel.  There's no way Arlo can block the traffic in the UDP tunnel used anyway.  

FWIW, I can open the Arlo app with OpenVPN connected in my Android phone.  I'll try to test that on my iPad later today.

eric-cork
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi thanks for reply, its the new Arlo app fails to login on VPN. I have touch login activated if that makes any difference.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, I'll test it on my ipad later today.

Can you try logging into Alro first, and then connect the VPN?  After it connects, see if you can play a recording.

eric-cork
Aspirant
Aspirant
Tried that, full functionality (live video, view recordings etc) connecting VPN after login.

Seems to be initial authentication is the problem.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@eric-cork wrote:
Seems to be initial authentication is the problem.

Likely yes.

Though it is working correctly on my iPad.  The VPN connection is to my home network (used for remote access).  Is yours set up for that, or are you using a VPN service for privacy?

eric-cork
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am connecting to NordVPN service via OpenVPN app. Have been for a while and no issues on old Arlo app.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@eric-cork wrote:

Just guessing here, but the problem might be related to DNS (which is provided by Nord when you are using their service).  I suspect the new app is using a new Arlo domain name when it authenticates, but the legacy app would still use the older Netgear one.

Nord customer service might be able to help.   Also, DNS changes can take a while to propagate through the full DNS infrastructure, so it might resolve on it's own.

eric-cork
Aspirant
Aspirant

You hit nail on the head. I was connecting to static VPN server in Ireland. Changed to a UK NordVPN server and app connects now without issue. Must be be a DNS issue on the Irish server. I will let them know.

Thanks Stephen!!

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation