Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Arlo app?

Piano-Man
Star
Star
I read an article on the website this morning stating that Arlo are now a separate company from Netgear and there is a new Arlo app, which we must install otherwise we lose access to the Arlo system after the 30th September. The new app apparently launched on 26th August, or thereabouts. I only just bought and set up the system. My Arlo app, from Google Play store (UK) and developed by Netgear, says the app version is from 27th June, predating the new app launch - but there is no other app available in the Google store... Should there be a new app in the UK?
189 REPLIES 189
sgtpepperlhcb2
Tutor
Tutor
The fact that you think the new app will be “automatically” downloaded shows just how little you understand or read of this thread. The new app can not be automatically downloaded, as it is an entirely separate app from the original. Users must find and download the new app manually, which has lead to part of the confusion. Bigger than that, many of us bought this system and pay a monthly fee to have notifications. It is the key feature that I specifically sought out. I have three kids who get home from school at three different times and I use Arlo to notify me of and record their safe arrivals. That notifications are currently not working in the new app for a portion of the user base is a real problem that deserves discussion and attention. Surely an adult such as yourself can understand that your single use case is not the sole user experience...
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice
New user, clearly a troll and probably paid by Arlo. Everyone's a tough guy on the internet...

Useless posts, ignore him and stay diligent in holding Arlo accountable.
Australien
Luminary
Luminary
Well said mate! I guess the other guy is just a troll wanting to stir up. He probably even doesn’t have an Arlo system...
erob111
Guide
Guide
Why do you have to pay a fee to receive notifications? I do not pay a monthly fee and I receive notifications? Why is that?
sgtpepperlhcb2
Tutor
Tutor
Do you actually have an Arlo system? If so, I’m beginning to wonder how you know it’s working properly when you seem to not know the very basics of how it works or the features that are available. You should explore the Arlo website or check the settings in the Arlo app. Just keep in mind that some of what you discover isn’t working right now, but ignorance is bliss, right?
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

All,

This community is most valuable when we focus on problem resolution, sharing information about how to install and use the systems at various levels of complexity.  

The community is least valuable when conversations devolve into bickering between community members, repetitive posts or inquiries that were not preceded by a reasonable amount of searching and reading to find answers that have already been posted.

Though it is painful, if we are having a problem with our systems or app that can’t be answered readily by community members, the best option is for us to open a case with customer support.  These are time consuming and often start at a painfully simplistic, if not insulting level of response, but cases are the only way Arlo management really sees metrics on problem and complaint rates.  I don’t believe any problem metrics are derived from posts to the community and this is not a case management system.  

It is useful to share experiences, both positive and negative, so Community members can gauge whether their experiences are common or unique.  It helps when we include our system configurations and hardware and software platforms, since our experiences vary significantly along those lines.

Our motivations and requirements for surveillance systems also vary significantly by our personal situations.  What may be a non-issue for me, could be a huge issue for another person who faces a more critical need for timely notifications and video.  This will naturally result in greater levels of frustration and lower levels of tolerance for problems and the speed of resolutions to those problems...as expressed here by Community members.

NJSS
Star
Star

AncientGeek   I am greatly inconvenienced by these issues, but well said - I entirely agree with you.   Hopefully Arlo are reading all the adverse comments, here and elsewhere, on this topic; and will shortly post a definitive statement on when the problems will be fixed.   From a PR point of view they would be well advised to improve their communications with users and soon announce some free enhancements to the app.  The priority however must be to get everything working as it should.   NJSS

Australien
Luminary
Luminary
Fully agree! It’s good if someone claims it’s working for himself well without problems (if that response was genuine) but it shouldn’t be make a mockery out of those who have problems in such a snobby way. For example I live far away from civilisation in the Australian Outback and rely on working and reliable cams to protect my property when travelling or even out for work 100s of km away.
ianr_london
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi. Having just installed the new app, it would appear to be exactly the same as the previous one. Are there any new features here, or is the new app just a clone of the old one but just registered to Arlo as a business in its own right now and now owned by netgear anymore?
NJSS
Star
Star

IanR

That would appear to be the case.

NJSS

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero
I believe your latter point to be correct.

“or is the new app just a clone of the old one but just registered to Arlo as a business in its own right now and now owned by netgear anymore?”
erob111
Guide
Guide
My gosh speaking of ignorance. Yes, I have an Arlo system. Why question that? I simply discovered this thread through a quick google search to uncover why iOS automatically downloaded the legacy app. I’m FULLY aware of all of the features. I was a beta user. In fact, most technology I’ve adopted in our home has been all beta or early adopter program tested, by me. Why make any assumption at all? Seriously, ignorance is bliss indeed.
cyberjunkyfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

"or is the new app just a clone of the old one"

I had originally thought this to be the case, except that the notifications are not working on iOS 13.1 beta (the notifications were working on iOS 13.1 beta on the legacy app).  So, it may not be an exact clone of the old one, or if it is then there may be some old configuration settings that are lingering in iOS from the old legacy Arlo app that is preventing notifications on the new Arlo app.  I do share the cameras with other users, and those other users (on iOS 12) are getting alerts, so the backend system seems to be working correct.  I've tried deleting the new Arlo app, hard resetting the iPhone and then re-installing the Arlo app, no change.  Arlo has already acknowledged notification issues with iOS 13, so there should be a fix soon, hopefully before the official iOS 13 release else this thread will blow up even more.

Alfie64
Star
Star

Noooooooooo!!!!

I just was forced to update the app when I went to view my cameras. Now ALL my cameras are gone, all my recording are gone!!  

WTF just happened and how do I fix this!!??

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently investigating many of the issues being reported on the new app in app reviews and here on the community. There are several topics open on these issues already and i've raised internal tickets concerning them. If you're having a specific issue that isn't being discussed in a community thread elsewhere, please reach out to me in a private message and I would be happy to help you connect with the support team.

Closing this thread as many of the comments here have steered off topic.

JamesC