Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Ike123
Tutor
Tutor
Hi, I’ve been having a situation I’d love to resolve - I purchased set of 5 from Costco and none of my cameras will sync. After spending an hr on the phone with a tech rep he determined that the base/cameras were defective and I should go back to the seller and exchange. Well I did just that... drove 1/2 hr each way and went back to Costco and exchanged. For this 2nd set (of 5 from Costco) I was able to sync 1 camera and the rest wouldn’t sync. Again I called tech support spent an hr on the phone. We trouble shooted every possible way and couldn’t even get the one camera that I managed to sync in the beginning synced again.. he determined that it was defective and I should exhange it.. Well guess what?!?! I went back to Costco and exchanged for a 3rd time (yes drove 1/2 hr each way ) and the cameras won’t sync... I called again and now I am waiting for a call back from a “level 2” tech support rep
( I don’t know why I couldnt speak with them in the first place if the issue wasn’t resolved) I’m not to tech savvy but I’d bet after 15 cameras and 3 base stations it’s hasn’t got anything to do with the camera and they were fine all along... if someone can help me get this set up I’d greatly appriciate it.
7 REPLIES 7
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Perhaps some interference in your home on the 2.4GHz spectrum. Can you temporarily turn off your wifi while you try to sync the cameras?

Ike123
Tutor
Tutor
Steve,

I’ve tried that and the cameras still won’t sync. I’ve even switch to an older linksys WiFi router that didn’t work either.. any other ideas?? I also had optimum change the internet channel that I was on from channel 3 to channel 11 as per the rep arlo needs to run on channels 9 or 11
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Arlo changes channel to be the same as the closest, strongest network. I don't find it has a preference apart from changing mine to the least crowded out of 1, 6, or 11. 
My only other thought is taking the system to another person's house. Plugging the base into their router (and power) and sync'ing the cameras there. Then bring everything back to your home and hope they maintain their connection. Do you live in a highly congested 2.4GHz network area? Are you by powerlines etc?

Ike123
Tutor
Tutor
Steve,

I’d say it’s pretty congested I’m in Brooklyn NY. I might just try taking them to a different location and see if I can’ sync them there and bring them back... waiting on a call back from a level 2 tech in 45 min
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also when trying to sync, be sure to only briefly press the base sync button - don't hold it.

Ike123
Tutor
Tutor
Just to update... I spoke with a level 2 tech earlier and we trouble shooted some more.. he says that many times other wireless devices can interfere such as printers speakers etc.. last step we tried- unplugging everything turned off the modem and router and it didn’t work he then said it could be an interference from a neighbor.. I took the cameras to a friends house about 5 min away and we were able to sync all the cameras OFFLINE to the base. I then went back home and set up the camera on my network - updated software for the cameras and the base and everything is working well..

The level 2 tech rep explained that many times many things can interfer and prevent the cameras from communicating to the base during the initial sync AND NOT ONLY IN YOUR HOUSE it could be from a neighbors as well. Once the cameras are synced the cameras are forever communicating with the base and these interferences don’t cause any issues. ( time will tell.. I hope they don’t anyways)

If someone has this same issue I’d tell you to take it a few min down the road to a different location and try to sync each cam..

side note: my base always connected to my network I just wasn’t able to connect the cams to the base and oddly enough the rep had me first press the sync button on the cameras- wait 5 flashes of blue light and then press the sync button on the base for 2 sec ( opposite of what every other rep advised) hope this helps someone
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Sweet. Exactly what I said. Glad you're all up and running now.

I don't think it really matters which sync button you press first. IIRC both stay in sync mode for about 2 minutes if they don't find anything

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation