Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Need some advice on purchasing additional equipment, to include solar panel and security lights

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Looking to expand my system, but have a feeling I'll be upgrading everything. What I'm looking at is below:

Currently have:

• 3 Gen 1 arlo cams

• 1 Gen 1 base station

• 12 Tenergy rechargeable batteries and charger

Interested in obtaining:

• 2 additional cameras

• Arlo Solar Panel for cameras (prefer for all cameras, but I understand is not available on gen 1 cameras)

• Arlo Security light(s)

What do I need to purchase to ensure system compatibility? Is it safe to assume the gen 1 cameras & base station wont communicate with the Pro & Pro 2? Also, I have power available in one location only, so I'd REALLY like to take advantage of the solar capability, if possible. The security light will also be in the area that I do have power available.

Can anyone please offer some insight? I want full compatibility and I'm not entirely certain how to accomplish it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master

All cameras are compatible with all bases and with each other.

Unless you need the siren and external features of the newer generation bases you can just add the new cameras to the current base. Likewise, the bridge that comes with the lights will get added to your account and the lights will be syncd to the bridge. You will then be able to cross sync between all the cameras and the lights.

Solar panel only works with the newer generation rechargeable cameras with USB ports.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Streak2
Master Master
Master

All cameras are compatible with all bases and with each other.

Unless you need the siren and external features of the newer generation bases you can just add the new cameras to the current base. Likewise, the bridge that comes with the lights will get added to your account and the lights will be syncd to the bridge. You will then be able to cross sync between all the cameras and the lights.

Solar panel only works with the newer generation rechargeable cameras with USB ports.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Excellent! Thank you for the concise answer. However, I don't understand what you're referring to when you say, "...bridge that comes with the lights will get added to your account and the lights will be syncd to the bridge...." Is that the controller for the security light(s)? 

What external features on the newer gen base will I be missing out on? Many of the kits include the base, as well, so I have no issue picking it up if it is, in fact, beneficial. 

Lastly, I'm using the Tenergy rechargable batteries - are they still compatible with the newer cams? 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

The same way as the cameras connect to a base, the lights connect to a bridge.

See my previous post about the extra features in the newer bases.

If it's not much extra in cost I would get the 2 new cameras as a kit with a base and then add your older cameras to it and keep the original base as a backup or you could use it somewhere else in the house if some of the new cameras will be too far from the new base to get a good signal.

The Pro and Pro2 come with their own LiIon rechargeable battery. The Tenergy batteries are only for the original Arlo camera.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Absolutely excellent info - thank you for your quick reply. I will plan on getting the kit with the new base and then adding my old cameras, as you recommend. 

I think down the road a bit, when the other cameras die, or when I just get tired of constantly maintaining the batteries, I'll pop for the newer cameras. 

Thank you again! 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

FYI, I just popped for the 2 camera Arlo Pro 2 system along with 2 solar panels. I didn't do the lights yet - may not need it, gonna play it by ear. 

Thank you agan! 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Just one thing to remember, cameras running on solar power have the same functions as cameras running on batteries.

In other words, you will not get the extra features, such as zones, that come with "mains powered" cameras.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Ah, I was aware of the pre record feature potentially being unavailable, but didn't realize the zones would also be.

Thanks for the heads up. I really believe the arlo pro would be fine for me, but opted to go with the newer hardware because of that, it's just newer.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
So the cameras have been upgraded and I love them. However, I just installed this morning and the solar panels appear to be sucking power from the cameras. One of them is at 50% and the other is at 75%. It appears power is traveling the wrong direction.

Looks like I'll have to hard wire power because this is definitely wrong.

Any ideas before the solar panels go back?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

yuckypants,

The solar panels position along with the cable being securely connected could both be factors in what you're experiencing. Take a look at this article for positioning tips and troubleshooting steps for securing the charging cable connection: My Arlo Solar Panel is not charging my Arlo Go or Arlo Pro camera battery; what do I do?

JamesC

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks, I've already dug through the t/s steps trying figure it out. 

I fully recharged the batteries, then repositioned the solar panels to ensure direct sunlight. Once I did that, it was holding at 100%. I thought the problem was resolved -- then once the sun went down, I lost 10% of charge each hour. I even disabled one of the cameras entirely using SmartThings and it still lost 7% each hour. It seems like it's trying to charge the solar panel instead of the camera. 

I didnt want to take a risk, so I pulled the solar panel out of the camera and just running on battery. Fortunately, both cameras are in a location that will be very easy to run constant power, but it is a little disconcerting that I can't use solar in other areas that is too inconvenient to run power. 

The cameras and their capabilities are incredible, but the solar charging appears to still be in its infancy. 

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation