Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection range

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Kloohoo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did Arlo decrease the distance that motion can be detected?

I bought my Pro 2's in March of 2020 and they detected cars coming in my driveway 40-50 feet away just fine. But in the last few months I've noticed that I'm not getting any recordings of cars. 

I've read thru the forums, fiddled with the settings in "armed" on the computer instead of in the app. Reset and reconnected each device. Sensitivity is set at 100%

They will not detect motion until 10 feet away now, which was not the case previously. 

What has changed?

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The pros and pro2 always had a max range of about 25 ft for detection via the PIR device for people… cars maybe the exception as they can reflect ir.

is it possible the angle of the sun is different so it is not reflected as well?

not to mention sw updates/changes.

I haven’t notice a large change in the number of P2s I run.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Kloohoo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm not sure. I don't think the sun would be an issue. The camera is mounted high underneath my covered porch so it doesn't see any direct sun. 

So all this fiddling around with the cameras today, and I finally got a recording of a vehicle in the drive! I have no idea what possibly fixed it. I haven't had one like this in months! Fingers crossed that it wasn't a fluke or Murphy's Law because I posted here. Haha

Attaching today's video so you can see what type of motion I'm looking for. 

Any idea what might have fixed it?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As the sun's angle changes over the seasons, the reflections from the sun's strong IR also change. This can cause various issues which can be minimized by repositioning the camera to eliminate extraneous view for the camera as well as changing the sensitivity in your modes and rules. Many of us use multiple custom modes with different sensitivity settings depending on the time of day and also use the schedule to automate the switching.

Also, remember that these cameras are designed around detecting people within 20-25 feet, not vehicles at farther distances.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation