Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection is delayed on Arlo Pro 2

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
snaphook31
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased my Arlo Pro 2 camera's after an incident in January, 2018.  They have performed quite well, even with some bugs in the app which were annoying.  Heck, I even went to HQ in San Jose for a product test once because I liked the product so much.  In the last few months, the cameras have continuously seemed to take a step backwards in terms of performance.  I don't seem to have as many problems with connections as others, but this is significant.  I recommended Arlo to friends and family, but I can't recommend it anymore.

I have 2 cameras:

1. On the garage and plugged in.  Zones used to work perfect.  I'd get the video 3 seconds before any motion was detected as you were supposed to.  Now, a person can be 10 feet into our driveway and that's when it starts.  I can drive into the driveway, wait as my slow garage door opens for around 8 seconds, and the camera only gets the tail end of the car going in - that takes about 10 seconds!!
  2. Front door on wireless.  I used to be able to get the person as soon as they turned the corner around the garage which is about 20 feet from the house.  Now, best case is I get them 4 feet from the door, but many times it's only recorded their backside on the way back!  Not very helpful!

I'd like to get more cameras, but there is no point with this level of poor performance.  I'm not sure how the engineering can take a step backwards.  Is this Arlo's way of forcing people into purchasing a monthly plan?  Has anyone had similar issues, and then it was alleviated when you purchased a monthly plan?  Is this occurring to anyone else?  Cameras haven't moved so it's apples to apples.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

I know just where you are coming from. Your motion detection issues are very similar to mine. I’m finding that it seems to alter at times and just not stable.

i woke up this morning to find an alert and this is what it’s recorded.

https://youtu.be/9FKnWk4aM8E

its a new one for me as the camera view is fine this morning. 
I so much want this system to work.

i did try their free trial and the smart zones but found if you added 3 zones it turned of motion detection so by dropping to 2 I got that back but it was not reliable.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey snaphook31 and NewfieDrool,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback about your Arlo system. If you're having problems with motion detection not working properly, try reading this article to see if optimizing motion detection on your camera can improve it: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo camera?

Otherwise, please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Jessica

i have managed to work out my issue.

the issue is colour related, my van is silver and my neighbour kindly got her daughter to move her vehicle which is black into the parking bay and the motion detection works fine then as soon as I try to move my van which is silver into the bay it fails to pick it up right up to the last moment and sometimes not at all which tells me the cameras are a bit finicky on colour related objects.

in saying that I noticed yesterday I had no alerts And noticed the motion detection was failing to work and I had to reboot the base.

it’s a tad shall we say temperamental

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

Can I ask Jessica is your support Arlo employees or do you use a third party to handle support?

snaphook31
Aspirant
Aspirant

You've got to be kidding me.  I've got a new silver truck and we painted our house grey a few months back.  Cameras haven't moved since those changes, and now that I think about it, that's when everything started to degrade.  So, apart from repainting our house and getting a new truck, what are realistic options?  Is it actually possible that my cameras are virtually useless now because of a color?!

As much as this checks out, today our cameras went off 10 feet from the door from leaves blowing around, yet it doesn't get the mailman until he is 3 feet (or already turned around leaving) from the camera.  

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

While the silver colour does seem to impact the ability to be picked up I kind of rely on the camera to detect anyone close to my van. 
the trouble is I can’t trust the system, every day there’s an issue. Sometimes a basestation reboot helps but to be frank it’s pretty awful as it stands.

yesterday I noticed any event saved when played has a slow emotion effect for a few seconds before correcting its self and the circle jumps along the time bar.

i suppose I could each time raise a ticket with support but I’ve a horrible feeling support is offered via a third party so in essence they don’t know the product but have just a simple script to go through. It never works well for the end user which is why you often read about issues with support. it would be nice if the question I asked in this thread was answered.

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

Here’s a video showing the playback issues. 

https://youtu.be/IDu5w5gtto4

notice the the pixel image quality , stutter to start with and the drop in overall picture quality. 

Watchdog19
Aspirant
Aspirant
We've spent 40+ hours in the past month trying to troubleshoot with the Arlo support team and these issues are still not resolved. Our App worked fine until the update and now we are experiencing severe delays in video capture and playback issues. Arlo's response, "We don't accept returns on our products, but we will forward your video playback concerns to our engineers." Meanwhile our safety (I'm a stay at home mom with a baby) has been compromised with two incidents that have occurred in the past month. It's as if the burglars and prowler know the Arlo cameras now have this delay issue!
These issues should have been resolved within a month. We invested in an $850+ Arlo system that worked for only 11 months. Please have someone contact us about these issues!
DoNotBuyArlo
Star
Star

I own an Arlo Pro 2 system with 4 cameras and a bunch of solar panels. The system has been great until the May update. I've lost faith with this system, not even bothering anymore to spend a fortune for upgrading nor purchasing more cameras. My biggest issue is the unacceptable delay in motion recording, even with Smart subscription it doesn't help improve the performance.

Two of my cameras are in front of the house monitoring the driveway and front yard. Most of the time only vehicle butts, people's back are recorded - right to the end of the time recording...very frustrating.

Again, I've already lost faith with the system and have been looking somewhere else so I can replace the system. 

I've changed my username as a protest to this system and I've been telling everyone I know not to fall victim to this deceitful products. 

I have been regularly visiting this forum for some hope but majority I see are angers and frustrations. 

We seem to teach these bunch of useless moderators that Arlo system has been broken, and yet nothing has been fixed or are they just keeping the blind eyes. Arlo has never cared so why should we support the product?

Arlo Ultra was a fail, and pretty sure Arlo Pro 3 will go the same path. Who cares - I don't.

Watchdog19
Aspirant
Aspirant
After countless hours spent with Arlo support, this is the 4th and last chance I am giving to Arlo to fix this ongoing issue. I believe Arlo tossed the new update out there without beta testing it first to work out these known issues. I believe this was a way to also force Arlo users to upgrade and pay for service.
If Arlo does not fix this issue, I am considering legal action just to get my refund.
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation