Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection problems from inside looking out - new camera (VMS4130P)

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
redsoxfan44
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can't get my new camera to detect motion on my porch from behind a window.  Live works fine.  I have it temporarily mounted on a coat hook in front of the sidelight.   I have moved it around various angles, closer and further from the window.  I simulate delivering a package from the driveway to the porch and no motion is detected. I've tried it plugged in or not.  I tried activity zone full-width and less-width. I waved right in front of the window from outside and that is not detected.  Here's a pic:

2019-10-16 08.56.19.jpg

Here is the outside view.  I am concerned that the side walls of the porch are involved in the problem.  I read that the subject is best detected from the side rather than straight ahead.  So I am suspicous of these walls:

entryway_10_17_2019 4_50_05PM.jpg

But the fact that I can't wave in front of the camera, makes me think its about the glass.

I just tried moving it to a location in the house (top of a bookcase) for an indoor test and it worked perfectly.

I don't understand what could be wrong.  I was told it would work behind a window but I wouldn't have night ability because of reflection.  That's ok.  I just want package delivery detection.  I have 7 more days to return it for full refund!  

I need to keep it in an indoor location.  My wi-fi is not strong enough outside.  No, I don't want to get a booster.  I also tried it from a bedroom window in back of the screen (no glass).  It also didn't detect motion.   

Help! What else can I try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@redsoxfan44 wrote:

I can't get my new camera to detect motion on my porch from behind a window. 

I was told it would work behind a window but I wouldn't have night ability because of reflection.

Your camera uses PIR sensors to detect motion.  PIR doesn't penetrate glass, so you won't be able to detect motion through your windows.  Were you told it would work behind a window in this forum?  Or was this someone else?

@redsoxfan44 wrote:

I need to keep it in an indoor location.  My wi-fi is not strong enough outside. 

Did you try it outside?  The camera doesn't connect over your home wifi.  It connects directly to the base station using a closed wifi system.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@redsoxfan44 wrote:

I can't get my new camera to detect motion on my porch from behind a window. 

I was told it would work behind a window but I wouldn't have night ability because of reflection.

Your camera uses PIR sensors to detect motion.  PIR doesn't penetrate glass, so you won't be able to detect motion through your windows.  Were you told it would work behind a window in this forum?  Or was this someone else?

@redsoxfan44 wrote:

I need to keep it in an indoor location.  My wi-fi is not strong enough outside. 

Did you try it outside?  The camera doesn't connect over your home wifi.  It connects directly to the base station using a closed wifi system.

redsoxfan44
Apprentice
Apprentice

darn... (re not behind glass).    I forget who told me.  I think a co-worker who recommended Arlo and/or the Best Buy sales rep.

I will give it a try outside.  I wanted it to be less obvious and no theft potential.  The higher and more secure I make it, the more inconvenient battery charging will be.   I guess those are the tradeoffs.

I will re-try with it between the glass and the screen in a window too.  That might be an option.  It didn't work before, but I might not have had the positioning quite right.  

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation