Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Looking for brand name hard drive. I have read that there are issues with some.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
toytek63
Follower
Follower

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The real question is whether this is for Arlo usage on a Pro base. In that case, as Brian sez, Seagate and WDC both make quality drives but there are other major players that can be considered, too.  That said, I wouldn't use a hard drive to locally record videos since it's harder and more cumbersome to remove the drive for viewing on a computer.  I've done it and now use thumb drives instead which simply pop out and in. The cost comparison is easier on the pocketbook, too, although you do get less storage on a thumb drive. A 16-32GB thumb drive can store a lot of days' worth of videos. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

I have used both Western Digital and Seagate for many years with no problems.

Brian

Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo has not been around for many years. Have you been using Seagate and western digital with Arlo? For many years?
brh
Master
Master

That is a negative. But, although I assumed he wanted to use a hard drive to back up his Arlo Pro cameras), he did not specifically say so. 

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The real question is whether this is for Arlo usage on a Pro base. In that case, as Brian sez, Seagate and WDC both make quality drives but there are other major players that can be considered, too.  That said, I wouldn't use a hard drive to locally record videos since it's harder and more cumbersome to remove the drive for viewing on a computer.  I've done it and now use thumb drives instead which simply pop out and in. The cost comparison is easier on the pocketbook, too, although you do get less storage on a thumb drive. A 16-32GB thumb drive can store a lot of days' worth of videos. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I'm also just using a 32GB flash drive / thumb drive. It seems to store quite a lot. Perhaps if I was doing it again now, I'd buy a 64GB flash drive. The system can take up to a 2TB drive but I prefer solid state over a mechanical drive.

The biggest problem previously with HDD was the Seagate 3TB drive. The failure rate was ridiculous. This obviously isn't applicable to the Arlo anyway since the capacity is too large.

For flash drives, also stick to quality brands

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation