Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Looking for WiFi camera. Can wireless Arlo cameras work with my non-Arlo WiFi?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
bashleywoods
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a wired Arlo Q Plus wired PoE camera and I really like it but I now want to get some additional cameras for use outside and I was looking at the Arlo Pro 2 or Pro 3 or HD, but they are not PoE (which is a shame).  So I would need to use a WiFi camera.  I already have a Unifi WiFi mesh at my home and I really do not want to add further WiFi kit and so I would like to use any new cameras with my existing WiFi without having to buy an Arlo WiFi Hub and a bunch of repeaters.  My Nest camera works fine on my home WiFi.  The Wired PoE Arlo Q does not require an Arlo Hub and so I want to find out if the wireless Arlo cameras can work with my non-Arlo WiFi.  Does anybody know please?  I have searched and I cannot find a straight answer to this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Wired PoE Arlo Q does not require an Arlo Hub and so I want to find out if the wireless Arlo cameras can work with my non-Arlo WiFi. Does anybody know please? I have searched and I cannot find a straight answer to this.

Only the Q and Baby cameras link directly to your home wifi...

All the other Arlo cameras require a BASE unit  ( which sets up it's own wifi network for the cameras only ) and the base needs an ethernet connection to the router.

They do not work on any other systems

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Wired PoE Arlo Q does not require an Arlo Hub and so I want to find out if the wireless Arlo cameras can work with my non-Arlo WiFi. Does anybody know please? I have searched and I cannot find a straight answer to this.

Only the Q and Baby cameras link directly to your home wifi...

All the other Arlo cameras require a BASE unit  ( which sets up it's own wifi network for the cameras only ) and the base needs an ethernet connection to the router.

They do not work on any other systems

Morse is faster than texting!
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

You can add a Q Plus to an Arlo system that uses other cameras.

Not sure about the Q cameras.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
bashleywoods
Aspirant
Aspirant

Perfect - thanks for the answer - not the answer I wanted and as such I won't be getting any Arlo WiFi cameras although I will consider more PoE ones if the need arises.  Seems a shame that all the camera makers try to corral you into places you don't what to be.  I'd buy two or three Arlo Pro cameras immediately if they were PoE.  I'd buy them if they worked with my Wifi.  I'd buy more Arlo Q if I could put it outside.     But none of this applies which is a shame.

Very clear and helpful answer.  Many thanks again.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation