Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Longer range coverage between Pro 2 and Ultra ?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

We have a ARLO Pro2 and ARLO Ultra placed down at our lakeside.  They are connected via a Wi-Fi extender.  The Pro2 has no problem picking up coverage. (Its about 750' from the base station)

However the Ultra always times out.

Is there a difference in the range that each of these cameras use?

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:

Is there a difference in the range that each of these cameras use?

The Ultra 2 needs more bandwidth, and bandwidth does drop with distance.  

FWIW, 750 feet is amazing performance as Arlo specs the Pro 2 at no more than 300 feet.

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

Stephen,

Thats only because we setup Orbiti WiFi Extenders.  We use it around the Lake Club for all of our Wi-Fi spots.  Works pretty well.

Ewiok
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pro 2 use 2.4 GHz wifi and Ultra 5 GHz. Ultra 2 use 2.4 and 5 GHz. To get better range, use a Ultra 2 camera?

Just wondering. What wifi extender do you use to be able to extend the Arlo wifi signal?

Have also found one on Youtube that have modified the Ultra base station to extend the signal a lot. From cameras that almost worked to they all work. He had to replace one Ultra camera with Ultra 2 to extend the range.

He also has a question that according to iFixit the Ultra camera have a wifi chip that support 2.4 GHz. Why cant Arlo enable that to extend the range? There is no big difference between the cameras except Ultra 2 have 2.4 GHz wifi enabled for much better range.

Video 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XwaYsLkhkM

Video 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPHsrjU-OP4

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ewiok wrote:

Pro 2 use 2.4 GHz wifi and Ultra 5 GHz. Ultra 2 use 2.4 and 5 GHz. To get better range, use a Ultra 2 camera?

Actually the Ultra uses 2.4 ghz.  Information to the contrary is not correct. Note the Ultra can be paired with VMB4540, VMB4500, and VMB4000 bases - none of those bases have 5 ghz radios.

The Ultra 2 does claim to have longer range than the Ultra.  Not sure what is the basis of that claim, and I haven't seen a lot of evidence here that it matters much.

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

I didnt think any of the base stations supported more than 2.4  (thats from the documentation I have read)

I did try with one router to setup only 5ghz  Then connected to the ARLO base.  The cameras never connected.

Went back to 2.4 and the cameras connected in a flash

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:

I didnt think any of the base stations supported more than 2.4  (thats from the documentation I have read)

The VMB5000 is dual band.  The others are only 2.4 ghz.

rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
Ok. Now this brings up something I posted before. The base I want the most from is not a VMB50xx. Its an older VMB45xx. Is there a save configuration tool to capture everything on one base so if I put in a newer one, could I restore the configuration. I know the answer is going to be no. Just that one base I want to upgrade has 15 cameras attached and the are located in many different spots. So that would be a pain to reinstall each camera
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:
Is there a save configuration tool to capture everything on one base so if I put in a newer one, could I restore the configuration. I know the answer is going to be no.

Correct, unfortunately there is no way to do that.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation