Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Located from Sudan, can I setup Arlo using VPN?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
YIzzeldin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

We have bought Arlo Pro 2 (with 3 cameras) two days ago via Amazon in UK as a gift to be installed in Sudan. Before installation, I downloaded the Arlo app and when I tried to create a new account, I couldn’t and the app was giving me the following message: “We are sorry, Arlo is currently unavailable. Please try again later”.

I used a vpn software to make sure that the issue is not with the ISP and I could access the app and managed to create a new account and login. I then installed the base station. The base station two left LEDs were green indicating power and internet connection. The right LED was constant Amber. I then tried to add base station in the app using add devices. The app shows “Discovering your device. Please wait”  for 5 minutes and then fails to discover the base station giving a message that “No Arlo devices found”. I also tried to reset the device 3 times and reinstall it and the app still gives me the same message. I tried to connect to the myArlo page using the laptop but again I had to use the VPN for that. It seems to me that Arlo is not enabling devices from Sudan to connect directly. It also seems that for the Arlo base station to be discovered, it needs to be in the same network as the app.

I am asking if there is any workaround that I can use. I bought this as a gift to my parents and would feel very embarrassed if I have to return it back. Your help is truly appreciated.

N.B. The base station model number is VMB4000:

6 REPLIES 6
brh
Master
Master

@YIzzeldin

Since the Arlo cameras and base stations must connect to Arlo's cloud services I don't think Arlo is available in Sudan. See the following:

https://kb.arlo.com/1072891/Can-I-purchase-or-use-Arlo-in-an-embargoed-country

It could be that I am wrong or it might be possible to use your location as somewhere else.

Brian

brh
Master
Master
YIzzeldin
Aspirant
Aspirant

@brh

Many thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it.

The US embargo is lifted (more than) a year ago so it is absolutely legal to use it in Sudan now. I suspected that the software is not updated and this is why I called and and asked the support for work around.

I received two contradicting replies. One mentioned that the software does not yet allow traffic from Sudan and another saying that there is nothing in the software that blocks the traffic from Sudan. They suggested few things but none worked and I look at it this way, whether the software is allowing the traffic from Sudan or not, the fact is the app does not login directly while using VPN does. This rules out any internet speed issues and if Arlo does not update the software (whether it is because of an embargo or just a technical issue), we are forced to use the VPN and there should be a workaround to help completing the setup. 

brh
Master
Master

@YIzzeldin

Good to hear the embargo has been lifted. Look at this article and see if t helps.

https://kb.arlo.com/1179130/Arlo-can-t-discover-my-base-station-during-installation-what-do-I-do

Brian

YIzzeldin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many Thanks @brh. I have tries this so many times. I believe it is important to know the answer to this question:

Does the base station and the app needs to be in the same network during installation (as apparently this is a requirement)?

because if the answer is yes, then using VPN for the app is problamatic and we need to somehow put the base station in the same VPN network. This is why I am asking if someone is an expert in the subject and can help with a step by step approach on how to do that. 

brh
Master
Master

@YIzzeldin

I will wait for an expert on VPNs or someone from the Sudan that has successfully set up their system to answer your question, but not as far as I know. If you have a pc and an open slot on your router to plug the base into, try logging in to your account from here:

https://arlo.netgear.com/#/login

I am not sure if you set up two accounts or only one but if you set up two, use the one you first set up.

Try setting it up from there. 

Also check on your router to make sure ports 80, 123 and 443 are open and you dont have any antivirus software blocking access to the base.

Brian

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation