Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Live view cannot be enabled when motion is detected

Discussion stats
  • 29 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Hondadogie
Guide
Guide

When I try and activate live view after motion is detected, does not work. Camera system is 5 days old, firmware up to date on both cams and base and app is up to date. If someone rings my doorbell and I try to activate live view, its almost as if the camera won't go into live view until the recording is sent to the base station. I saw a similar post and there was no solution. This cannot be the way it was designed otherwise the two way audio and live view modes are useless. Disappointed.

Rob

29 REPLIES 29
EricMD1
Aspirant
Aspirant

When my cameras detect motion, and I try to view the live feed, it displays 'Please wait...', then the flashing dots like it is loading, and then says 'Request timed out'. I must then wait until the motion & recording event stops, and then I can view the recording in the library. 

The big problem is that say if someone is at the front door and I'm not able to answer it, I cannot view the live feed and then talk to the person to let them know to either come back later or hang tight for a few until I can get the door. 

I checked all my firmware, and everything is up to date according to the Arlo app.

Thoughts?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @EricMD1

Are you trying to live stream after a notification was received or when the motion icon in the app > Devices card turns Amber?

EricMD1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Shayne,

You got it right. When the amber motion icon lights up (like when a person is at my front door), when I click Play to live stream--that is when the issue comes up. 

-Eric

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Which of your 6 cameras is this issue occurring on?

EricMD1
Aspirant
Aspirant

All of them

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest any prior methods you have previously performed.

EricMD1
Aspirant
Aspirant

So far, very low-level troubleshooting. I've turned cameras on and off. Checked if there were any firmware updates with both cameras and the base station.

That's really about it. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@EricMD1

I have a few more questions.

• Do you have the latest version of the Arlo app installed?
  • Does this occur on all your devices?
  • Is this issue present over the web portal as well?
EricMD1
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • Do you have the latest version of the Arlo app installed? 
    • Yes. 2.18.1_28070
  • Does this occur on all your devices?
    • Yes
  • Is this issue present over the web portal as well?
    • Yes
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

If possible I would suggest to remove the cameras from Settings > My Devices > Re add them. If this doesn't resolve your issue, Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Hondadogie
Guide
Guide
I have the same issue. Brand new out of box two days ago. No live feed until whatever they are recording is transferred to base station it seems. Please help!!
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Hondadogie

I was not able to replicate this issue, Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

EricMD1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I'll give this a shot in a few days, and I will let you know how it goes. 

Thanks again,

Hondadogie
Guide
Guide

When I get a notification that there is motion at Front Door, I try to open live feed and just spins until eventually tells me to try again later. Often, "later" the cause of the motion is gone.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Hondadogie

Does this occur on the web browser as well?

Hondadogie
Guide
Guide
How can I attach a video of this happening? More than %50 of the time I cannot open live view until motion trigger is long gone.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Hondadogie  He asked if this happens when using a web browser to view cameras on my.arlo.com if you are not aware of it. 

Hondadogie
Guide
Guide
Happens with web browser AND the app. By the time live feed loads (if it does, it usually doesn’t) the source of the motion is long gone.
Hondadogie
Guide
Guide
Yes, very hit or miss. But miss more often than hit. Tried it today, told wife to text me when mailman was on block, I waited til I got alert that a “person was on front door camera” message, hit live view and just times out, says failed to connect.
Hondadogie
Guide
Guide
Also seem to have much better luck when I am at home vs being at work.
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is interesting. For some reason I thought that you could not view the live feed during actual motion. I thought I read that somewhere. By the sounds of this tread, is this not possible or did I read it incorrectly?

Shayne, how does the system work?  When motion is active, should I be able to open live stream and view the live event as its taking place? If so then my system has been faulty for many many months, if not right from the day I bought it. I have the same issue. When the icon for motion is amber I can not launch live streaming. [This ties into my other post from this morning about one of my batteries always running down}

Please let me know.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Like another poster said it seems to be hit or miss going to live view when recording here also. I think it may be the camera sending the recording to the hub competing with the signal when trying to connect for live view since it does work eventually. But yea wish it would be clarified how it should or should not work. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
I have been getting similar issues with my cameras for some time now. Have latest firmware and iOS App version on iPhone 5s.
Note that I am unable to live view front camera after motion detection and subsequently loose cloud recordings.
I have cameras set for record until motion stops and if I open the App after I get notification, I am then unable to have live view functionality, just tries to connect until timeout.
If I exit the App then reopen it, live view works again but any subsequent motion detected by the camera will not get recorded to the cloud.
I note that when the above occurs that the motion icon gets greyed out and normal operation will only return after toggling the camera off and then on again via the settings.

Workaround are that If I have the App already open when I get motion detection on the camera I can immediately live view ok which also will extend the recording to the cloud until live view session has been ended.

If I set the camera to fix length recording for say 40sec then I can load the App fully and successfully live view the camera.
PShay
Aspirant
Aspirant

Once I get a notification as a result of the sensor being triggered  I open the app and tap to go live and 9 out of 10 times it won’t connect. Any other time I have no problem connecting live... kinda sucks because the point of having the live option is to see in real time if there is a security threat. The whole point of a security camera right?  Also there is the issue of using the speaker. If nothing is triggering the sensor I can connect to the speaker no prob. But the time I need it is when someone is standing in front of it not when no one is there. It takes a min or more to connect ( If it connects ) and while connecting it almost mutes any response... so I have to disconnect from speaker to hear a response... Is this how it is supposed to be?  Iv had tech guys come and check my 1 gig internet setup with extenders. My wireless signal and speed is as good as it gets. So the issue is something else that interferes with connecting live to cam and speaker while motion is being triggered. Maybe the Arlo pro 2 cam or hub can’t handle recording and Logging an event while also being accessed for live cam and speaker? Iv tried different settings and Restart. Reboot. Everything works fine. Just can’t access or use the live capabilities when motion sensor is triggered ( most ) of the time and then when I finally do get in its after 2-5 mins of tapping the play icon to go live. It’s pretty aggravating.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Discussion stats
  • 29 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation